Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to number endnotes in order when in different stories

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a chapter of a book with 100+ pages and more than that of endnotes. All was imported from Word and everything is in order. However, in numerous cases the endnotes reference tables, charts and graphics which will be in their own separate stories. I can extract the text (title of a chart, table or graphic) from the main text but then the endnote number becomes the last endnote number in the document. For instance, with a total of 125 endnotes, endnote number 25 refers to a graphic. I take it out and place it with the graphic. It now becomes number 126. How can I make it still be in order where endnotes 24 and 26 come before and after the placement of the graphic?

Thanks,

Tom

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

the only thing I can imagine is to do either "invisble" endnote references to ensure the order of endnote texts and fake the numbers with "static" reference numbers, just digits with the same formatting like the live endnote numbers.

Or you abandon live endnotes altogether and only use static ones.

"Invisble" endnote references can be made with formatting the numbers with a character style that uses [None] as fill color and 1% width and 0.1 Pt size for the digits.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Uwe,

The author wants all the endnotes at the end of the book and the endnotes for the text and for graphics, etc. separate. If I keep the endnotes live I can accomplish this by making each chapter's endnotes have a .25 pt for the font and push the endnotes story onto the pastboard where the PDF will never find them. However, maybe the best way to go is once the author is sure that there are no more additional endnotes that I make them static. I see this needs to be accomplished with a script from Peter Kahrel. I haven't tried it yet but I am assuming that once they are made static the reference numbers in the text and the numbers in the endnote remain. The only headache is if I have to add or delete any. As for the graphic, table and chart endnotes, they should still be out of order but at least at the end of the endnote story. I can then go back and change those numbers to the a, b, c... series. A bit time consuming but doable. So I hope that is how the script works; leaves the numbers but kills the link.

Tom

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines