• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to preserve paragraph indentation when exporting to EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a book in InDesign using the paragraph style for paragraph indents, no tabs, but when I export it all my indents disappear and everything is flush left. How do I get the paragraph indents to survive the export?

Thanks

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

I think I figured it out. I used the Basic Paragraph Style to format my paragraphs, but when I created a new paragraph style and used that in place of the Basic Paragraph Style, it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide a little more information…

• EPUB (Reflowable) or EPUB (Fixed Layout)
  • Version 2 or Version 3
  • etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflowable. Epub 3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you indented your paragraphs using a Paragraph Style that included a first line indent and you didn't use tabs or keyboard spaces for the indent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. I also used the export tagging. The image shows the indent settings and the Export Tags. The next shows what it looks like in Indesign and how it comes out in Epub with everything flush left. I need to have the paragraphs indented so readers can tell where the paragraph separationsimage.png are.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out. I used the Basic Paragraph Style to format my paragraphs, but when I created a new paragraph style and used that in place of the Basic Paragraph Style, it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done!

Reflowable ePubs are full of trip-ups.

Don't forget to validate your ePub and test it on various devices and readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek. Please could you eloborate on the solution to this issue. I'm having a similar issue and just cannot get the text to flow properly. 
I have attached a PDF (2 pages) showing the results and settings I'm using.
Your advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under your Paragraph style for the text under the Indents and Spacing tab, increase the First Line Indent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have set the indents at 15mm (which look huge in In Design) but look OK in epub.
But no matter how large I make the 'leading' or 'space between paragraph' they will not alter. 
I could probably run it as it is but I'm sure from seeing a few videos online that a better result can be achieved by exporting from In Design.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Increase the "Space After" in the text Paragraph Style.

(From a design point of view, it is customary to have paragraphs separated by an indent or line spacing, not both.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Derek. Seems to be behaving now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted in the other topic, ID measurements and EPUB (expecially Kindle) measurements are quite different. You either have to use very large ID spacing, or CSS to override and set paragraph spacing to an optimal value for Kindle.

The ratio is 1pt of ID measurement to 1 pixel of effective screen resolution, which is usually 144ppi for Kindle. Thus a very large 12pt/1 pica space turns into a mere 6 pixels of Kindle display.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines