• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to "play video on hover" or "play on scroll" instead of "play on page load" in a PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to have several videos placed throughout a long portrait-oriented, scrolling interactive PDF published online. I'd like the videos to autoplay as they appear on screen when users scroll down. But, I don't want them to all play at once by setting them to "play on page load." Is there a way to set the videos' individual media controls to play in sequence as they are scrolled to, and appear, on the user's screen? Any tips or workarounds you could offer, using sections, page breaks, frames, anything, would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My number one piece of advice is rethink this project. Video in a PDF is a crapshoot at best.

This sounds like something that would better lend itself to a webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, changing formats is not an option. PDF format is a submission requirement for this project. I am planning to publish it online via Adobe to ensure functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes no sense. Is it a PDF or Publish Online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake. It will be exported as an interactive PDF to fullfil the submission requirements, as well as published online and linked in the body of the submission to ensure full functionality for all viewers as a backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, regardless, you will be seriously hard pressed to get this to work in fashion at all.

I'm curious (if you feel comfortable answering) is this play on scroll a requirement or is this something you just want to do and where is this requirement coming from? Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt to put something like this together as a PDF and you won't be able to do a scrolling page like that very easily with Publish Online, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .pdf format is a requirement for submission.  The "play on scroll" is something I would like to do in an ideal world, instead of setting all the videos in the document to "play on page load," which would result in the audio of 4 separate videos in the document playing all at once. I am working with an artist who needs an interactive PDF featuring their spoken word poetry videos for fellowship consideration.  We would like it do require as few clicks as possible to play the content, and make it an interactive scrolling experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice stands. First off, how do you know the view of the PDF when it's opened? How do you control which PDF reader is being used?

This project is doomed to failure. Even with clicking to watch the videos, outside of Acrobat/Reader on a desktop, chances are it won't work.

I know none of this is what you want to hear, but I'm trying to save you a world of pain here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was my understanding that publishing online does not require the end user have Adobe Reader for viewing -- it's available to view live online. I'm curious to hear what format you would suggest instead of working in inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you keep using PDF and Publish Online interchangeably. If this about Publish Online, you can't scroll. The document opens full page.

At the risk of repeating myself, this would work well as a web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me rephrase my question: What application would you recommend working in instead of inDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no alternative we recommend. Publish Online is a good (non-PDF) solution; for this you can only use InDesign. PDF is really a non-starter for multimedia use ONLINE, and using different software won't change that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since publish online will not accommodate scrolling, though, because the whole page image loads, I'm hearing that publishing as a webpage would be preferable. Would you recommend DreamWeaver for this, or Adobe XD? Or something else altogether?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you could pay me enough to use Dreamweaver for anything anymore. I used it back in the day but I'd find a good WordPress theme and create it with that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd do it as a web page using WordPress.

If you could show us a sample or two of what you're trying to accomplish it might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, one final point. Many browsers prevent autoplay of media so take that into consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online will present the entire page from top to bottom. There is no scrolling that is similar to a webpage.

A Publish Online document could have multiple pages containing each video that autoplay, then transitions to the next page after completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth you having a look at in5, the InDesign plugin (at extra cost): 

https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add to Jeffrey and others' comments, here are some good examples of Publish Online documents. If not for this project, perhaps in future: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines