• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove a chpater and update the document

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just learning to use the program, so the question may be very trivial: I have a document created (not by me) that includes a table of contents, 8 chapters, several paragraphs and 68 pages.
I need to create an identical document, but with one less chapter (so 7 chapters). Once the pages of this chapter are removed I would like the table of contents, number of paragraphs and pages to update consistently, but I can't.

The procedure I am following (without success) is this:

1)In the Pages Window, I select all the pages of the section i want to remove

2)Right mouse button on the selected: delete pages

3)The chapter name updates succesfully (i.e. once i remove Chapter 4, i see the title of the Chpater 5 taking its place)

4)The pages remain unchanged: all the content of the pages i have remove (Chapter 4, in our example) are still there even if I had asked the program to delete them (In step 2)

Can you tell me how I can do this?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not specified the most important thing: I am referring to Adobe InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we need to see the actual file to know for sure, but it sounds like all of the text is threaded together in one story so removing pages only causes the text to reflow .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaultmztfdfnxp13f:

Working with a copy of the original file, try highlighting the text for the chapter that you want to remove.

With the Type tool, click an insertion point at the beginning of the chapter title, then navigate to the end of the chapter (without clicking your mouse on the text) and Shift+click at the end of the same chapter. This will highlight all of the text in the threaded frames in between the click and the Shift+click. Press Delete or Backspace. That should remove the chapter and content close up the space. 

Then return to the TOC and update it. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines