• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rename a permanent swatch in InDesign?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you rename a permanent swatch in InDesign? I need to change the name of SPOT WHITE to WHITE INK and keep it permanent. There is no "Finishing" Swatch file in my application folder, so I cannot delete delete it. 
I want to either delete the whole "Finishing" group altogether, so I can make a new one, or be able to rename just one of the names. It won't let me! HELP!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 4.03.22 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Changes to the default color swatches can be made by opening the swatch panel while no document pages are open and then after adding or subtracting a color quitting the program which makes it part of your preference file. Since the colors that you are dealing with were created for a document they will not be there when you close the document so they will have to be defined anew in the swatch panel using the process that I have just described.

After you have added default colors like this it would

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes to the default color swatches can be made by opening the swatch panel while no document pages are open and then after adding or subtracting a color quitting the program which makes it part of your preference file. Since the colors that you are dealing with were created for a document they will not be there when you close the document so they will have to be defined anew in the swatch panel using the process that I have just described.

After you have added default colors like this it would be a good idea to make a copy of your preference file for future occasions when you might have to reset your preferences but you don't want to lose your custom swatch panel.

The preference files can be found:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it will be found the folder Adobe InDesign which you should copy.

For Windows Users the file can be found at: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I wanted to ask how you do this in the newest version of indesign as when you don't have an open widow open, you can't see any of the panels?

Thank you for any help.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, here's a screen shot of the latest version of InDesign (MacOS). As you can see, I have no open documents but all panels are still accessible.

Adobe_InDesign_CC_2018.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

I always have this, is there a way to change it?

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 14.16.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, i have figured it out as i must have agreed to the start up page by mistake, just changed it in prefs!

Every day is a school day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

if you do not want to turn off the Start Workspace go to the workspaces where it says "Start" in your screenshot and look for e.g. Typography to get more options.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newest InDesign opens the Start Workspace when no documents are open. You can turn this feature OFF in preferences. OTOH, if you cannot see any panels, have you clicked the Tab key inadvertently? The tab key hides/shows panels.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bill Silbert here has all the answers. I could have used this tip about ten years ago.

Create all your strokes, frames, boxes, and text with the same colour swatch. If you're smart you'd save them all in a new swatch folder. And in a few clicks you can remove the items all coloured with the one swatch to another. Fantastic. A really simple fix to an annoying problem. 

Once your swatches are in a new folder you can rename them. From there you can even change the tint two a new swatch. 

This will really save me thousand upon thousands of clicks a year. Bonus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines