• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to separate page number style from the TOC header style

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the header styles for my TOC is in italics as desired, but I do not want my page number to be in italics. I want it to match the style of the rest. All of the page numbers use the style "digits" as shown below, yet they inherit the italics from the "fbt" paragraph style. I'd like the page numbers for Acknowledgements and About the Author to match the page numbers for the rest of the chapters.

Christina22279179zqw5_0-1643361201476.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the “digits” character style. Can you post a screenshot of your settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Here it is:

XtinaHowell_1-1643366969326.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it does not help. Please show the “Basic character formats” section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XtinaHowell_0-1643367935808.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the problem: you have not specified anything (but the tracking value) in the character format, so it picks up what is defined in the paragraph style you use. You need to fill the font family field and (the most important), the font style field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the digits style for headings and numbering and table of contents and I do not use the same font family between headers, TOC, body text. Does this mean that I need to have a separate style for each to match the font family?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, since you do not want to use the same font family for each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have made seperate styles for each and that has resolved my problem. Do you know when I create a Print On Demand book if it is a problem to have many styles? I was trying to keep the number down in case it was.

Thanks for the quick help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you know when I create a Print On Demand book if it is a problem to have many styles?

No problem… But anyway, you'll send a PDF not the native InDesign file, so the number of styles has absolutely no impact on the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines