• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set columns span for text comparison over two or more pages?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm tring to to compare two long poetry textes over two pages using columns span but it not works.

Schermata 2022-11-18 alle 08.18.31.png

I need that the first poem (blu) stay on the left column, and the second poem (red) on the right column, on each of the two pages. I could use more text frame but it's not a flexible solution.

Schermata 2022-11-18 alle 08.18.41.png

Any idea? Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Hi @mirkovise:

This is a case of really needing the extra text frames, so that the text can flow: blue text flowing from page 1-2 and the same with the magenta. They can't flow side by side with column spans. And a table might look like a possiblity, but cells can't break across pages so that's out, too. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very hard to know what's going on there.

Can you give more details of what you're trying to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very hard to explain too 😄 I'm trying to obtain the layout that you can see in the second screenshot within only one text frame per page using the paragraph styles, but it seems not to exist a column setting that allows the text in the left column to pass in the next page staying in the left column. 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mirkovise:

This is a case of really needing the extra text frames, so that the text can flow: blue text flowing from page 1-2 and the same with the magenta. They can't flow side by side with column spans. And a table might look like a possiblity, but cells can't break across pages so that's out, too. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Barb Binder.  

Unfortunately extra text frames are not a flexible solution. But as I may understand it is the only solution. Thank you anyway. 

Mirko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree this is the best solution considering InDesign's capability/limitations, but there is an additional limitation that is quite frustrating: footnotes! Assuming you are comparing two texts side-by-side and annotating them with notes, InDesign will number the notes the same across both columns (e.g., 1, 2, 3, etc.) That means one will end up with side-by-side columns with two footnotes numbered 1, two footnotes numbered, 2, etc. A big no-no for academic publications where the references need to be easily identifiable and accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines