• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to setup Appendix in InDeisgn

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a sidenote, endnote, and appendix needed for my paper. I managed the sidenote and endnote using a script and the built-in function of InDesign. However, I thought I could place the appendix using the endnote function as another set of endnotes and just changed the title, but it looks like InDesign only allows one endnote per document.

Does anyone know if there is a way that I can add an appendix in InDesign when I already have one set of endnotes?

TOPICS
How to , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

You could look into Cross References to generate the appendix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the appendix need to be anything other than a block of text (however complexly formatted)? If it's not automatically generated or updated, as are foot/end notes and TOCs, then you should simply be able to append that text to the end of your document.

That is, not everything has to rely on an InDesign feature. 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

So because I need them to auto-generate the numbering as footnote and endnote that's why I wasn't able to find a solution to it. But yes, I knew there are other ways to import the content from Word. It is just that having everything in InDesign (from my previous experience) is the best way to have control of all the design layouts like how I want to be.

But still thank you for the advise, I have a solution that is very close to what I need now.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay. As noted, "Appendix" does not usually convey the sort of linked numbering etc. of end notes; they are usually just one of many text sections like citations, summaries etc. in formal writing. But yes, cross refs should do the job for you, although you'll have to adapt the tool to the job a little.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could look into Cross References to generate the appendix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Thanks! I think this is very close to what I was looking for (except it couldn't automatically detect the position of the in-text appendix number so it cannot update the order). Since I don't have hundreds of appendices I think I can try to manage the order myself (thank god).

Thank you for the advice!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karen JR:

Typically we use the word appendix to refer to supporting documents that appear at the end of the book. It sounds like you have something very specific in mind for yours. You don't mean index do you? Can you provide additional information and perhaps a visual of what you need? If it's just a title followed by a list, you can just add that at the end, manually.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

It is a list of information at the bottom of the paper but I need to link its number inside the paragraph content. So basically it is like an endnote, with the additional information, not the citation.

Because I want the number to update itself whenever I add/delete an appendix in the list/paragraph, manually adding the list is not what I was looking for. However, the Cross Reference panel that Brian suggested seems to solve my questions! I'll test it out and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work, @brianp311! I don't know how you got there so fast! 

Yes, this is a cross-reference activity. I would create a numbered list for the entries, and then x-ref the paragraph numbers. If you need to add or remove an entry, the list will update itself and you can then update the x-refs from the x-ref panel. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines