Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to show current number section

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a indesign document (not a book) and in the document I have different sections. Each sections have a name, but I also want them to have a number so in the master page, it shows the current section name and the current section number (like if it was a chapter number). Is there a way to automate this without having to change the section number manually on every page?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sections, you could use the Section Marker on the parent/master pages. Then manually insert the section text in the Pages panel.

Another option is to use a numbered paragraph style and a header variable. 

Hard to say what option would work best without actually knowing more about the document. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tlemaitre:

So in section 1, the running head is 01-1 where 01 is the section number and 1 is the page number? Like below?

If yes, let us know and I'll come back to explain how to set it up. If not, please share screen shots or a picture of a sketch on paper.

~Barb

section numbering.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer!

Yes that's basically it. The différence is that the page number is in another place and it's globally so the first page of section 2 can be 4 for example. Here's how it looks like on my end. The 01 would be the section number, the <!NOM DE COMPAGNIE> has nothing to do with my problem, Section is the section marker and C is my page number. The only thing left to do is to dynamically change the 01 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since @Tlemaitre is French speaking, I will answer in French.

Tu pourrais créer une liste numérotée. Ensuite il suffit de créer 2 gabarits différents : un sur lequel tu places marque de section et un bloc dans lequel tu saisis une espace, pour déclencher la numérotation automatique et un autre gabarit dans lequel il n'y a que la marque de section.

Capture d’écran 2021-12-13 à 17.12.26.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-12-13 à 17.12.31.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-12-13 à 17.16.30.jpg

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Salut!
Merci pour le commentaire (en français en plus 🙂 !)

Je ne suis vraiment pas sûr de comprendre tes explications. J'ai mon logiciel en anglais, donc peut-être que ça vient de là.

Je ne suis pas certain de comprendre la liste numérotée et les deux gabarits. Je suppose que tu parles d'une liste à puce, mais numérotée? Malgré les options cochées pour faire continuer la numérotation au moment de créer une liste (voir premier screenshot), ça ne semble pas effectuer ce que je veux faire.

Le 2e screenshot montre mieux comment mon document est construit. Dans le fond, la première page et la 3e (donc ceux en rouge) sont dans le gabarit A et sont mes pages qui commcent mes différentes sections. Le titre et le numéro ne font pas parti du gabarit. Les pages 2 et 4 sont dans le gabarit B avec le numéro qui fait partie du gabarit. Je ne suis pas capable de faire en sorte que la page 1 / section 1 ait le chiffre un et la page 2 aussi et qu'après, la page 3 / section 2 ait le chiffre deux et la page 4 aussi ait le chiffre 2. 

J'espère avoir été claire 🙂
Merci pour votre aide!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines