• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to troubleshoot an Indesign file that fails to export pdf

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker is having trouble exporting a file to print pdf. It works when I go to export but not for her. Since it is only the one file and not all files I believe it must be something specific to that file? She is on a PC and I am on a Mac (if that matters). Is there a way for me to troubleshoot to find out the issue? It is hard to troubleshoot if I am not having an issue when I export. Or a way to resolve it? I was wondering if I export to an idml then save back as a indd could that help? 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just exported an idml file. when I went to open the file I got this error message "

this command would create a large number of page items and would severely degrade performance. Date will be placed as embedded EPS". What does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy and paste a vector file into InDesign instead of properly using the Place command? Although it is possible to do so (e.g. copy a vector object from Illustrator into ID), you should never do that except for the simplest of graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried to export the file as a idml file and reopen as an indd file and got this error message “this command would create a large number of page items and would severely degrade performance. Data will be placed as embedded EPS” I didn't create the original file but I have found there are a lot of pasted graphics in the file. So I am going through the file and putting them in Illustrator then placing them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should help a lot!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a limit to how many pasteboards I should have in the IA file? I already have 28 but the file size is about 11mg so I believe I am okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by an IA file?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant AI, sorry.  I have taken the pasted graphics out of Indesign and put them in Illustrator. I saved the file as an illustrator file and placed them in Indesign, linking them to the illustrator file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here is that there is a limit to how many points can exist in a pasted vector in InDesign (I had read 500 once, but that may not be the current value). Something in your process is causing that limit to be exceeded. This is why pasting Illustrator files into InDesign instead of properly placing/importing them can cause unforeseen issues; It's never a recommended process for anything other than simple shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about the pasted vector images. But am I missing something in the reply? I took the pasted vectors out of InDesign file and created a linked illustrator file. I have 40 pasteboards in the file and I am placing/linking like I would a multiple document. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AI has artboards, whereas the area beyond the page/spread in InDesign is called the pasteboard. Yes, you can build 40 artboards in an AI document. When you do the File > Place command to place the AI file into InDesign, also click on Show Import Options so that you can place a specific page (oops, artboard).

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines