Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use blocks of universal content between multiple InDesign files

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a set of installation manuals that I need to build out. One product but 30 different configurations (or fits). 70% of each manual is the same content and 30% is unique based on the model. 

Is there a way to create a master "universal content" piece and then have all of the remaining 30 manuals use the content from that master document? So, if I edit my universal content it gets edited in all of the manuals. 

thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

I'd use the Book Panel - and have the usual content as separate InDesign file or multiple files

Then you can have other documents for the remaining parts of the rest of the manual.

Using the book panel would mean that you keep 1 set of InDesign files and use it across multiple InDesign books.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing a bit more about layout and workflow, the first thing I would consider is using InCopy stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd use the Book Panel - and have the usual content as separate InDesign file or multiple files

Then you can have other documents for the remaining parts of the rest of the manual.

Using the book panel would mean that you keep 1 set of InDesign files and use it across multiple InDesign books.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines