Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How TOC not to Push to the End of EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am exporting to reflowable EPUB and no matter how I place the TOC in the document, it will be pushed to the end of the EPUB document. I am intended to keep one TOC before the chapter, not at the end of document. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOC is a separate text frame, and no matter how or where you place it in the document, the EPUB export will treat it as a second text flow and push it to the end of the document.

Unless you anchor that text frame where you want it... such as to the copyright notice or whatever immediately precedes it. Note that you can't anchor a multi-page text frame, but you can limit the TOC frame to one page even if it cuts off the content; all of the content will be placed in the export.

I tend to avoid placed TOCs in e-books. It's far more respectful of the medium to make maximum use of the reader TOC.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you James for the guidance.

I was quite struggled on this for some times and tried quite a few of the methods (anchored, single page TOC, directly latch in the text frame like normal contents...) until your confirmation, I was thinking whether I was doing it right. 

But because one of the ebook done by previous editor and this file could be exported successfully with the multi pages TOC without anchored in the text frame and there was no TOC pushed to the end of document, so it had surprised me. I checked the INDD file yet could not find how as I follow exactly how he setup and I export it in another file of my work, the TOC keep pushing to the end...

2022-09-28 11_15_44.jpg2.jpg

This is the export setting from the multi pages TOC file that exports without the TOC pushes to the end but a TOC in the front. There is no article setup in this file also.

Do you have any idea? 

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not completely following the setup description and the problem, but some further thoughts:

If the TOC is anchored, it should appear in the EPUB at that point. If it's not, there is a problem somewhere with the document structure.

I rarely use the "File Name" TOC method. I'm not even sure I am clear on its details. The "Multi-Level" option makes direct use of the ID TOC and is much more flexible.

Make sure you have a TOC 'style' fully defined under a discrete name. Don't use the default style. (Style is a poor word for this setting, which leads to it being misunderstood. It's a complete setup just like the document.)

Other than that, I don't know what could be causing the problems. As I said, I avoid in-text TOCs for the most part, and let an embedded TOC do the job.

You might try "the big reset" — export the file to IDML, then reopen it as INDD and see if the problems have gone away. That fix often cures bugs and corrupted files.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the much keen advices! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines