I've been converting the same exact document to Adobe PDF interactive for the past several years with no issues. After recently receiving the most recent update of Indesign the hyperlinks within the document, when coverted to a PDF, don't work. For example, if I click on a link in Chapter 12 it's supposed to go to Chapter 8.1, but it just goes to the cover page ever single time. When I open up the hyperlinks toolbar in Indesign it clearly goes to the correct place when I ask it to go to the destination. All of the Table of Contents in the PDF work perfectly fine, but none of the hyperlinks within the document work. They all go to the cover page. I have hundreds of hyperlinks in the document, so I need this fixed. Is this an Adobe issue? I haven't changed anyting on my end.
You can try exporting IDML and then open this in Indesign, and then export new PDF. There are alot of links in your document, and the IDML process can clean up corruption.
I noticed the link page reference is off by 1 (i.e. action states page p5, but goes to p6)
okay. I packaged the files to allow the files to be exported to IDML -- that's the only way that I can do it. I don't have an "export" to IDML option on my screen. I did that. Opened the idml files, saved them as indd files, opened the book, created a PDF, and now nothing is connected - not the table of contents or any reference throughout the entire document.
I made a copy of the folder, so I still have the original Indesign files which has the working TOC. If the hyperlinks link within the chapter then it works fine or from the TOC. If it links outside of the chapter then it does not link correctly. This has to be a setting issue somewhere. All of the Adobe presets in the book are grayed out. Should it be that way? I don't rember this being the case with the older version.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the p5, goes to p6. I don't see this within the document.
Sorry, IDML can be created with a "Save As", it was export in older versions of ID.
I think the way you created the IDML will be the same as the "Save As" version, but no harm in trying.
Okay. I saved all the files as IDML. When I open the IDML files everything is off...the colors, guides, fonts, etc. To me, it seems like the IDML files are corrupt. I don't think I want to use them or try this any further. Do you have any other options for me?
Those SaveAs IDML files would be opened, and then also SaveAs back to ID files. You might Save them over the original filnames in order to keep links happy. ( You might want to copy away your original ID files as a backup prior to this experiment, of course)
When I open up the IDML files they appear corrupt. The fonts, colors, and guide lines are all over the place. So, I don't feel comfortable using these files. I'm not sure why that is happening, but I don't want it to set back my work on this project.
I saved the 2020 version on December 15th and it works perfectly fine. Every link works. The only thing different that I did between the 2020 version and the 2022 version is add a page or two, update a few pages of text, and change the date on every master page. We may have to look into repair services. A lot of people depend on this document, so it's imperative that it works properly.
"p5, goes to p6."
This was based on opening the property of the link, and viewing the destination in Acrobat. Based on the numbering structure in Acrobat, p5 in link should go to p5 of document.
In Indesign, were pages added or deleted before lastest version of PDF was created?
yes, one or two pages in the document were added. A new PDF was created to show the updates. I did all of the syncs.
The problem has not been corrected. If I try to export the entire book together, it doesn't give me the option to select hyperlinks and bookmarks when creating a PDF. If I only choose Chapters 1 through 23 then it will allow me to choose the hyperlinks and bookmarks buttons but it still will not hyperlink from Chapter to Chapter. it will only hyperlink if it stays within the same chapter. If someone else in our office opens up the file and uses the same exact settings then it works fine and all the hyperlinks work throughout the document. We uninstalled the program on my computer and reinstalled it and the same exact thing happens. It just seems to be a buggy and acts differently on different peoples computers - even showing different display settings for export - even though we have the exact same version of Indesign.
In case anyone was wondering, I figured it out. The hyperlinks are connecting to an old 2020 document rather than the current 2022 document. If I open up the 2022 Book, open Chapter 1 it opens from the 2022 folder where I have all the files saved. If I open up the hyperlinks panel, click on a word that is hyperlinked and choose, "Click to go to destination," it goes to an old file in the 2020 book. It shouldn't do this because I packaged the entire 2020 book to the 2022 folder before revising anything. If I manually change the hyperlink destination and reroute it to the 2022 files and hit save and reopen the document and check the link it still goes back to the 2020 folder. It is incredibly bizarre. I finally stopped it from doing this by changing the name of the 2020 folder where all the files are saved. It works perfectly fine now. All the links work in the 2022 document when I export the file to PDF. I never had this problem from the 2019 to 2020 version that I created, so I don't know why this is all of a sudden as issue. I shouldn't have to change the name of a 2020 folder in order to correct this, but I've been trying to fix this for weeks and was tired of it.