Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink not working

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have hyperlinked an image in indesign and when i open it as a pdf it is not opening the link it shows that it is "clickable" but when i click - nothing. Any help would be appreciated! need this for a deadline in a few days! 

The hyperlink is to another interactive pdf if that helps at all.

Karan

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the status circle in hyperlinks isn't showing at all in red or green  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the hyperlink? It should be Link To: File. 

And it will always create an absolute, not relative path (meaning, it will always try to find the path on your hard drive) so if you want to move it to a server, the link will not work. 

But it should be linking locally if that's what you're going for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane, thank you for replying. It is currently link to file. Even then it does not work on my hard drive. Is there a way i can link to open a pdf online?

Karan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I just tried it. Created a hyperlink to File, then located the PDF on my hard drive. 

Make sure your source PDF is exported as Interactive PDF. 

As I say, this will work on your hard drive, but if you want it on a web site, it's not that easy. You need extra tools, or to use a trick like this one: https://creativepro.com/creating-relative-hyperlinks-in-indesign/. There are caveats, however, as mentioned in the article (uses a button, not supported on most mobile devices, can't open PDF in new window).

I wonder if you could use Publish Online instead. That would make it easy to link from one document to the other (both would be Publish Onine documents). Here are several examples of interactive documents created using InDesign and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That last link you sent is EXACTLY how i need thsi document to work (bar the page flipping - it will be a one pager with links through clicks and rollover buttons)

Do you know of a step bys tep ata ll on how I can reate this and somem information ona ll teh software required?

Kind Regards

Karan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need only InDesign, which already includes Publish Online.

I have two courses on LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) that might be of help.

InDesign Publish Online http://bit.ly/IDPubOn-LIL

InDesign Creating Animations http://bit.ly/IDAnimations-LIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Diane,

would you maybe have some time today or tomorrow to have a quick call? i have an urgent deadline and the tips would be lifesaving! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are Linking to File?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines