• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinking to the Next Section ilo a Specific Location

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the header navigation of a PDF document I'm working on, I would like to have links that take readers to the previous section or the next section. Is there a way to accomplish this without creating unique Parent Pages for each seciton? I.e., is there a way to make a link/button/cross reference jump to whatever section comes next, rather than going to a specific location? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think parent pages have anything to do with the question.

Short answer: You need to manually create a cross-reference or hyperlink to go to another page (for example, what you're calling a section).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, but the document will be around 200 pages. So I'm really trying to avoid doing this manually.

I did mean "Section" technically, though. If the document is divided into Sections using the Numbering & Section Options, it seems like I should be able to create a link that jumps forward and backward by Section. Or maybe Chapters?

One solution is to create unique Parent pages for each Section, i.e., the Parent page for Section 01 would link forward to an anchor in Section 02, the Parent page for Section 02 would link back to an anchor in Section 01 and forward to an anchor in Section 03, etc. I'm hoping there's a more elegant solutions, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt it could be done with scripting but I don't think it's possible with the InDesign interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hyperlink window - if you set a link to a different page, and then increase /decrease the page it should track the changes? for an interactive pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a regular ol' bookmarked PDF, but yes, the hyperlinks would automatically update. I'm just trying to avoid creating unique hyperlinks for each section. Doesn't sound like there's a dynamic option, though. Thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines