• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks in a typeset URL that breaks at the end of a line

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, folks! This is a bit complicated. I hope I can explain it properly.

I have a document in which URLs must sometimes break at the end of a line because they are too long. The problem I describe happens no matter how the break is created (either automatically by InDesign or if I insert hard line breaks). No hyphenation is inserted at these breaks.

The hyperlinks of the "line-broken" URLs do not export properly in a PDF (for print), even if I have manually created each one in the text (Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References > New Hyperlink). So, for example, if I have to break "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_InDesign" after the ".org/", the hyperlink goes to the Wikipedia homepage, not the Adobe InDesign entry. I have tried inserting a hard line break (return key) and aassigning each segment a complete-URL hyperlink, but that doesn't solve the problem. I have even tried copying and pasting the "broken" segments of an URL from a plain-text document onto separate lines of text and assigning each one its own complete-URL hyperlink. InDesign still "links them together" with an incomplete URL.

They do, however, export correctly if I export as an interactive PDF. But the interactive PDF results in a spread rather than single pages, and it remains a spread even when I specify "single page" view in Adobe Acrobat (or Preview). The document must be single pages.

(Tinyurls are not a suitable workaround. And this happens whether or not the typeset text begins with "http".)

Can you suggest either how to get the broken-line hyperlinks to behave correctly in a "print" PDF or how to export an interactive PDF in which each "single page" is a spread?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Just uncheck spreads by selecting pages in the interactive PDF export.

2021-08-19_11-07-45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uncheck spreads by selecting pages in the interactive PDF export.

2021-08-19_11-07-45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bob, but I don't know where to find what you show me. I had thought there would be such settings somewhere, but I don't have them in the Adobe PDF Presets menu, which is offering only some print-oriented PDFs and the Blurb PDF export, and I don't see them anywhere else (e.g.,  Preferences menu). (I'm on 16.3.2.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! D'oh. I have found it. It's only Thursday and it's already been a long week! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original post sounds like what happens when Acrobat/Reader "make up" URLs they think they see in the text (an Acrobat setting I always turn off). Are you sure your URLs were getting into the PDF for print? This needs to be turned on -- here's a screenshot from IDCS6.

David

ID2PDF_Hyperlink.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, David! I will keep an eye on that setting, too, if this happens in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's best for hyperlinks to stay intact so I would stop the line break from happening in the first place. InDesign often automatically applies a hyperlink character style to URLs (if not, create one and apply it to all your hyperlinks). Now go into the style options and check No Break 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead to apply a non-break property via character style I prefer to apply a no-language property. As I have often URLs longer than one line, I have to have a line break, with no language applied, the breaks can only apply after / or other no-language-character and without breaking and adding a hyphenation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines