• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks not working when I 'Publish Online'

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have produced a newspaper in InDesign which is printed. I also 'publish online' so viewers can read it online should they prefer. The InDesign layout contains email addresses and hyperlinks to websites and these work fine if I export the InDesign file as a pdf, but not when published online. The links also work if I download the pdf.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong - can anyone help?

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Hi @VickyC112 ,

hm. When thinking about PDF and PDF reader software, this software is able to detect mail addresses and URLs from analyzing the readable contents of a PDF where you, on the InDesign side, have to do nothing. Well, nothing but to make sure that text is still text after the PDF is written.

Let's switch to Publish Online. Here we have a different thing. All editable text on a page is exported as outline paths in SVG format. It's not text anymore when presented with Publish Online,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I tested this on the latest version of InDesign which is 17.4 and on macOS Monterey and it's working, so could you please share a few more details like:

1. The version of InDesign & OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. If possible, please share a small video of the workflow how you have set up the document and what's happening.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @VickyC112 ,

hm. When thinking about PDF and PDF reader software, this software is able to detect mail addresses and URLs from analyzing the readable contents of a PDF where you, on the InDesign side, have to do nothing. Well, nothing but to make sure that text is still text after the PDF is written.

Let's switch to Publish Online. Here we have a different thing. All editable text on a page is exported as outline paths in SVG format. It's not text anymore when presented with Publish Online, it's just graphical content you can read.

So the reader software cannot see text as text and cannot check for possible hyperlinks.

That means, you have to do the hyperlinks on the text and on graphic frames with InDesign's hyperlink features. Select some text, the text of an URL in your story and use the Hyperlinks panel to create a hyperlink. This kind of hyperlink should also work with Publish Online.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love some more help on this topic as the email hyperlinks in the file I've published online are not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new discussion with full details including a link and full system details. This discussion was asked and answered and you'll get more help starting a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines