• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks take me to the wrong page.

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use hyperlinks on the contents page that will take me to the correct page in the document. The page numbering starts on the contents page (page 1) which is the third page of the document. I have created a "return to page one" hyperlink on a master page.

One hyperlink on the contents page takes me to the numbered page 41 - this works correctly. However the "return to page one" hyperlink on page 41 takes me to the first page in the document instead of numbered page 1. If I tell that link to go to page 3 (thinking this would take me to the numbered page 1) it now takes me to the numbered page 3. It seems to be related to the master page somehow.

A hyperlink on page 73 linked to page 41 will take me correctly to numbered page 41.

So in short, how can I get the master page link to go to the numbered page 1 instead of the first page in the document?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Thanks, Mike. I think the issue may have something to do with how sections are set up. My document is probably initially set up wrong anyway. Since this is a one time project, I solved the problem by setting the page numbering at the beginning of the document instead of page 3. So now my links go to the contents page on page 3 which is the proper page. Not quite what I had hoped for but not a huge issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about setting up Hyperlink Destinations from the Hyperlinks panel?

hyperlinks.png

3 types can be created.

new-hyperlink-destination.png

When creating a new hyperlink select Shared Destination from the Link To section

new-hyperlink.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike. I think the issue may have something to do with how sections are set up. My document is probably initially set up wrong anyway. Since this is a one time project, I solved the problem by setting the page numbering at the beginning of the document instead of page 3. So now my links go to the contents page on page 3 which is the proper page. Not quite what I had hoped for but not a huge issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things can get a little complicated in InDesign when you are trying to jump to pages in documents that have different flavours of page numbering going on in different sections. The reason I was suggesting Hyperlink Destinations was as a way of bypassing this whole issue altogether while retaining your preferred design.

Good to hear you've got yourself a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something similar has been happening for the last couple of months where page links go to the wrong page. My fix is to always use the top tab TYPE/  drop down to HYPERLINKS AND CROSS REFERENCES and click edit hyperlink to input the correct page. DO NOT use the right click on highlighted text/hyperlinks to change page and DO NOT use the hyperlink panel under WINDOW/Interactive. Both of these appear to be flawed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this AMAZING & IMPORTANT tip! I couldn't figure out why my links didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines