Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyphenation Settings and Preferences/Units and Increments Script

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have been trying to find a script that changes all boxes/pages in an active document to set values.

As I'm working with designers who don't care or don't know how to set proper values of hyphenation, unit and increments settings I'd love to be able to "override" document with specific settings to make it useable 😉

The settings should be changed to the values in the attached screenshots.

It would be perfect to have these changes of values all in one script.

Would anyone be so kind to help me out on that matter or point me toards some help on these issues?

Thank you very much in advance for any kind of help.

Kind regards.

Kevin

TOPICS
InCopy workflow , Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing, I'd suggest using an afterOpen event-listener so that your fixes are applied every time a designer opens a document.  To be more precise, the script file goes into the Adobe startup items folder. When the designer launches InDesign, it creates an event-listener that fires every time a document is opened. One thing to think about: Are you sure you want it to run on all documents? IIt's possible to build in filters that look at file names, file paths, xml info, etc.

The measurements are pretty simple:

app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.MILLIMETERS;

You could probably control hyphenation in a similar way, but it might mean that the text would reflow after the document is open. It also means that you've got one set of hypenation rules for all text. In my work life, we specify the hyphenation rules in paragraph styles so, for example, we hyphenate body text but not headlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree, this sounds like a problem that could be easily solved with proper 1) training, 2) template creation, and 3) use of paragraph and character styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines