Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can copy pages in to another document but how do I then correct the numbering

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 indesign documents.

I want to copy 6 pages from one document to the other.

I can copy them over ok but the text boxes dont joing up with the original text boxes from the document, how do I do this?

Note. the inserted pages are not at the end of the document but between pages 73 & 74

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want the thread the new text boxes in to the document (I forgot what it was called)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alistair,

first break the flow of the text frames at the frame before you inserted the pages.

Then thread the last frame of the first thread of text frames with the first frame of the new thread of text frames you inserted. Move to the last frame of the now threaded story and thread this frame with the rest of your story.

You can break the flow with a script that is already installed in your InDesign ( 2020 and above ) :

Scripts panel > Community > BreakTextThread.jsx

Before using the script by Timothy Ariel Walden read more about important details here:

Break Text Thread: A Free InDesign Script
by Ariel, January 28, 2020
https://www.id-extras.com/break-text-thread/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way (easier or not) is to reorganize (divide) your screen vertically witgh the two documents opened (destination at the left, source at the right).

From the pages palette, select all the pages from source you want to insert into destination and drag and drop into the destination workspace, more or less where you want them to be. When ID asks where to insert, say "after 73". You might have to play with the pages and signatures arrangement (the "allow reorganizing signatures and allow pages reorganizing options". Precise wording may differ, I am using a Spanish ID).

That's the classic way to place pages from one document into another (Quark used to do that as well). Linking between frames is saved, so , the linking bewteen 73 and the old 74 (now another numbre) is preserved and the inserted set preserve their own linking. Thus, if you want just one text flow, erase the linked content of the inserted set of pages and relink them into the general flow.

Easier, more difficult? Just another way.

PS. Always use a copy of the documents when making something new you have never done before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines