• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't get any files to open in InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to open a file on InDesign the program just loads interminably. I have been able to get the application open when starting fresh, but then if I try to open a file the application loads interminably once again. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my computer, I even tried installing an older version. I have run out of ideas. I am running macOS Monterey 12.2. Please help!

I attached a version of one of the files for reference. If you can get this file to open, you've gotten further than me! I hope somebody can help.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file opens without any problem. Try to reset preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys until you see a warning message asking for confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to Delete Preferences as you suggested. And then when I relaunch, I can make it to the startup screen. But then when I try to open the file (the same file I gave you to try), I experience the same issue (the unending spinning Mac wheel indicating some process is loading) and the application becomes unresponsive. Any other ideas? (I greatly appreciate your help by the way!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to Delete Preferences as you suggested.

Did you get the warning message? If you did'nt get it, nothing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you save that file? Localy, or on a cloud drive like DropBox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it saved locally on my computer. I have also tried opening it directly via Box, but experience the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@njh287 wrote:

… I have also tried opening it directly via Box, …

What does it mean? What box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via the cloud storage platform Box. There is an option to Open with InDesign directly from the web browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opens fine here, too, with missing links and fonts. I suspect this is a problem trying to find links on an external server. You could confirm that by disconnectiong from the network and loading from the local copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am officially jealous you're able to open with no issues, ha! I tried shutting off my Internet, starting t application with preferences deleted, and still could not get the file to open. I could load a new project, but when I tried to open the file I posted here, same thing happened -- application gets unresponsive and the Mac processing wheel spins interminably. I have no idea what can be wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new user logon account and see if it works in that. Also try starting the Mac in Safe Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get it open while in Safe Mode! But still not when not in safe mode (and for some reason my other applications don't work well in safe mode). But this is a huge win and I appreciate the help from you and the other fine folks that helped out in this thread! I hope once I export a new file, it'll all work without issue moving forward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working properly in Safe Mode generally indicates a software conflict with some background program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update yesterday I have the same issue this morning: InDesign can't open, and under any circumstances gives the reference code 205 and the advice to call the support. I am quite convinced there is a bug in the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other users have reported the problem which seems to be solved by deconnecting from your Adobe account and reconnecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds different than what I'd experienced, but glad it sounds like jmlevy below has an answer. In troubleshooting my issues, I even tried uninstalling the latest version of InDesign and installing an older version, to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your issue is definitely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines