Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't increase or decrease before and after paragraph to a little extent

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I am new to InDesign, so learning it's features one by one. I have a manuscript (created by another designer), in which there are mutiple returns in between paragraphs instead using before and after spacing. Now I want to remove those multiple returns and use before and after spacing. But surprisingly found that I can't increase or decrease the before or after spacing to little extent. As for example if I increase them gradually, before putting 6pt (I want even 3pt spacing), no spacing is inserting between paragraphs. Then if I increase the number gradually no changes in spacing can be seen until 12pt. So if I increase it to, let's say, 8pt, the spacing is not increasing more than 6pt. It only becomes double if I increase it to 12pt. But before 12pt, no more increment in spacing.

If I create a new indesign document and create paragraphs, then even very little before and after spacing can be added gradually. Then why this is not happening for that specific indesign file. Is there any settings that is responsible for minimum (here 6pt) increment/decrement for the before and after spacing?

Thankyou

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

This is a symptom of having Align To Grid set, either for just the first line, or the entire paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a symptom of having Align To Grid set, either for just the first line, or the entire paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your prompt reply. Would you please tell me what should be set to remove this barrier and where do I find that option (menu)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it! Thankyou for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK. Replace the forced line break with a paragraph return.

Copy the two paragraphs and paste into a new text frame. Replace the paragraph break in that frame with a space (or forced line break if in fact you want the TOC entry on two lines). Assign a new pargraph style to the text in the new frame. Define that style so the text is invisible if you like, or set the frame to non-printing (which is probably better since you can still see it while editing), then cut the frame and paste into the text flow at the end of the second paragraph so it becomes an anchored object.

Redefine your TOC Style to include the new pararagraph style for the invisible text instead of the old paragraph stly you used for the text with the forced line break.

Sorry, this was a response to a different thread posted here by mistake..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines