• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't open old indesign file

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have indd files created with an older version (I think it's CS2 Windows version) that I can't open on CS5.5 (Mac OS version). When opening: an error message tells me that I am missing 2 plugins (GenericPageItem and Image). I got these 2 plugins from the PC where the CS2 version is but the format of these plugins (rpln files) does not correspond to the format of the CS5 plugins. I also tried exporting the file from Indesign CS2 to IDML file but I don't have that option; the only export options I have are: eps, pdf, html and prepess file in SEP format which is not readable from CS5. I thought that a file created with an older version could be opened with a newer version. How can I open these files? Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

CS5 should, indeed, open older files, so there is something odd here.

I dug out an old laptop running Win XP that still has Version 2.0 through CS5 on it. When I open an old file in CS2 and go to File > Export ... the third option in the list is InDesign Interchange (That's .inx).

I'll be travelling this weekend, but I can take this laptop with me and use it to open your file and have a look if you like. I should be able to convert to CS5 for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a seriously ancient set up but one thing you could try is exporting the file from CS2 to INX and then opening that in CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that answer. How can I do ? As indicated in my post, I do not have this possibility in the export options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of those plugins are required and should have been installed with the program in the Required folder in the InDesign application folder. if they are not there you probably can't run InDesign at all.

CS2 used the .inx file format for interchange, .idml was introduced in CS4. .inx is not as robust as .idml, but I just checked and it should still open in any newer version (opens here in version 17).

If you want to send me a link to the .indd file in a private message Click on my name) I'll see if I can get it to open here on my windows system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that answer. My cs5 version works perfectly but I just can't open files created with the old version (isn't cs5 supposed to open older files?) How can I export to inx? As indicated in my post, I don't have this possibility in the cs2 export options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 should, indeed, open older files, so there is something odd here.

I dug out an old laptop running Win XP that still has Version 2.0 through CS5 on it. When I open an old file in CS2 and go to File > Export ... the third option in the list is InDesign Interchange (That's .inx).

I'll be travelling this weekend, but I can take this laptop with me and use it to open your file and have a look if you like. I should be able to convert to CS5 for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the proposal but I have two dozen files concerned. I wanted to get rid of this old PC but I will therefore wait a bit before finding a solution. Have a nice week end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you change your mind I can do all the files. I won't need links or fonts, just the .indd files which you can zip up together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines