• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot open InDesign files nor Photoshop file

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My .indd files suddenly won't open in InDesign and the same with my .psd files in Photoshop. The suffix is intact (.indd and .psd) but the icon is a blank page. I cannot open the files from within InDesign or by clicking on the files in my finder (same is occuring with Photoshop). Usually, my files are stored in iCloud Drive, but now the folder containing my documents have a cloud with a dash over instead of a cloud with an arrow. When I put my curser on the cloud with a dash icon it says "Cannot be used". I can usally click on a cloud with the arrow next to the file or folder and then the files are downlaoded. Now, I cannot click on any cloud.   

When I tried to open the files from my 'recent files' in InDesign, I noticed that the file name was .[FileName].indd.icloud. When I clicked on it, I got this error: "Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing , or the file may be open in another application" 

I have a Macbook Air Mid 2012 running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I have InDesign 2022 version 17.4 and Photoshop 2022 version 23.5.3

I hope someone can help!!

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when I try to drag the file to the InDesign programme icon, I get the message: 'The files does not exist' ..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Usually, my files are stored in iCloud Drive, but now the folder containing my documents have a cloud with a dash over instead of a cloud with an arrow."

The symptoms seem to indicate you have lost your connection to iCloud Drive.

At the moment, Apple iCloud system status shows no problems.

I'd suggest you to to Apple.com and contact Apple support because it sounds like the problem is your connection with iCloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve already said, you have a problem with the access to your iCloud account.

And one more thing (I'm sorry but I have to):

NEVER, definitely NEVER store your files only in a cloud, which one ever.

Store them always locally on your harddrive, make regularly backups on an second hd.

Put only files on a cloud you want to share or synchronize and then COPY the files to the cloud drive.

Be aware of the following:

1) the cloud service can be down,

2) the log-in server can be down,

3) your account can be hacked,

4) your account can be closed for what reason ever (wrong accusation, ...) by the provider.

And with 4) you will lose ALL your files/information that is stored in that cloud-account, as it will be very hard to get the access to your account back - if ever.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is ridiculous advice, IMO. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a cloud-based sharing service for your files and a whole lot of good reasons. Among them are incremental versions, constant backups, for archive files, to save local storage space.

When configured properly, your files are stored locally as well as in the cloud. We've seen way too many reports of people losing files to corruption or overwriting/deleting by accident. Even a deleted or overwritten file can be recovered easily when stored in OneDrive, Dropbox or other services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ridiculous? If you think that's a good start for a reply ...

I don't know why you think I wrote something wrong about cloud-based sharing services.

I wrote about cloud-based STORING services as this was the way the OP used his cloud service.

He ran into the mentioned problem because of that.

Maybe for you sharing-service is the same as storing-service.

For me it is a complete different thing as with sharing-service I always have a local copy of all my files.

And your reasons "incremental versions, constant backups, for archive files": maybe, but you have to trust that the service provider will run these services for a long time.

Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. did cancel/alter many services in the last years so hoping they run this forever or you can find a good replacement, hope dies last.

For me to uncertain. I run these things by myself.

And "to save local storage space" in times of TB-sized harddrives?

"When configured properly, your files are stored locally as well as in the cloud."

Thank you for agreeing with what I wrote.

"We've seen way too many reports of people losing files to corruption or overwriting/deleting by accident."

And you believe that these people will handle the cloud-based services any better?

I don't think so. As you wrote: "When configured properly,...".

And the software engineers are not the ones that provide a bullet-proof solution (thinking of all the problems that TimeMachine had/has).

So if you are using your cloud-based service as a storing-service you face really serious risks (as I wrote).

Losing one file because of corruption or overwriting/deleting by accident maybe a pain in the ass but losing (worst case) your whole digital life (family photos, passwords, access keys, business files etc.) can kill your (business-)existence.

I think people should know about this so they can make an informed decision.

"Even a deleted or overwritten file can be recovered easily when stored in OneDrive, Dropbox or other services."

The same here: As long as these services are offered by the provider. You never know.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not iCloud, it's OneDrive but it looks like you're not signed into the account. Once you get the service re-linked, make sure that any smart sync features are turned off to keep InDesign from timing out while waiting for the download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed the screen shot showing OneDrive when I answered late last night.

Follow Bob's advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines