• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot see frames in InDesign - newest CC

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a specific InDesign document, the frames have stopped showing as frames and are now "invisible" boxes - yes, I can click on them and place objects within their boundaries still, but it's not as user-friendly when the "x" within the frame's boundaries is missing as it's harder to see and therefore remember where the frame was if I need to change anything.

I will mention this is only one document that was sent to me by someone else, and all documents I myself have created work just fine. This is the newest CC version of Adobe InDesign. It appears all the settings for my document and this other user's document are the exact same - and when I researched this, "overprint preview" being on seemed to always be the culprit, but it's not on in this document.

This is a really photo-heavy magazine publication and was set up very specifically, so I don't want to start over and try to paste everything in place in a new doc over something this minor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Settings:

Work space: Essentials classic, essentials and Typography are really the only ones I use

Screen mode: Normal

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

View > Extras > Show Frame Edges

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. So simple and never had a clue this was a thing. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woop woop - thanks Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did not work for me. Same problem. It only happened with this current document I am working on. This is the first document I have used Charcter and Paragraph Styles and wonder if something happened doing that. I am kind of muddling around with them. It's very annoying because I have to actually assign stroke so I can see the boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

yes, usually that's it. Today I came accross a strange situation where some edges are showing and some do not.

Turned out that the object where the edges are not showing was a frame that I copied over from Adobe Illustrator.

A rectangular clipping mask that contained some circles.

To better show the issue I colored the copied frame and the circles in InDesign. The circles inside the frame show frame edges, the frame itself does not. If I recreate the frame with InDesign and move in the circles from Illustrator the edge of InDesign's "clipping frame" * is showing the edges. Screenshots from my German InDesign 2020 and Illustrator 2020 below:

The Illustrator objects:

SourceObjects-Adobe-Illustrator-2020.PNG

Illustrator preferences for the clipboard behavior.

SVG-Code disabled, PDF enabled, AICB disabled.

AI-Preferences-SVG-Code-Disabled-CopyPaste.PNG

InDesign page where I used the pasted Illustrator objects and colored them:

PastedFrameFromAI-EdgeIsNotShowing.PNG

If I select all contents on the page all frame edges are showing:

PastedFrameFromAI-AllSelected.PNG

Contents of the copied frame from Illustrator selected:

PastedFrameFromAI-ContentsOfFrameSelected.PNG

Contents of the recreated frame selected:

PastedFrameFromAI-ContentsOfRecreatedFrameSelected.PNG

* InDesign has no clipping frame or clipping masks like we know them from Adobe Illustrator.

We could just paste inside objects to every graphic frame.

Interesting to see that all three circles are not grouped inside their container frame after they are pasted from Illustrator to InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: The redraw error that the copied frame is showing no edges went away after I exported the INDD document to IDML and opened the IDML file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines