• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I locked or hid my document or story text somehow. How do I undo whatever I did?

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I included a screen shot. I somehow hid my text. Or locked it. I don't know what I did. The material is still somewhere because the endnotes are still there. When I click on the endnote to go to the endnote text, it tells me that "The endnote reference/text is either hidden or locked." I have 35 pages showing in the document out of about 98, plus endnotes, which all show up. At the lower right of page 35 is a red plus box, showing that more text is available. I tried this: With the selection tool, I single click on the red plus, which gets me a selection icon to place with a locked chain/link symbol.  When I place it on the next page, I get a blank box of some time forming. I am afraid to do much more, for fear of losing most of my text. Silly me, I didn't keep my external drive hooked up after I moved, so I could use Time Machine. I was counting on saving it to the cloud each night as a backup. Oops. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

You've donme something that sent the next line into overset text.

Some possibilities are applying No Break to mor text than can fit on the line, disallowing hyphenation and using non-breaking spaces, making the left and right indents bigger than the width of the column, or even perhaps just hitting the Enter key on the number pad which is a column break and would force the text to the next frame.

You can diagnose this more easily if you view the text in story editor (Ctrl/Cmd + Y) where the enti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've donme something that sent the next line into overset text.

Some possibilities are applying No Break to mor text than can fit on the line, disallowing hyphenation and using non-breaking spaces, making the left and right indents bigger than the width of the column, or even perhaps just hitting the Enter key on the number pad which is a column break and would force the text to the next frame.

You can diagnose this more easily if you view the text in story editor (Ctrl/Cmd + Y) where the entire text will be visible and you can select it or see a break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I went to story editor which showed the location of the start of the overset  text mode. I deleted a bunch of text charaters that looked like I had leaned an elbow on the keyboard. Whatever it was that I added, the deletion worked because I was able to then able to set the missing pages of overset text back into the pages which had been showing blank. Don't forget story editor, folks, when you can't figure out what's going on. Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the very best, but seldom-used features. Glad you solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines