• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I lost my file - desperately need help!!!

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So about a month ago, a client sent me this indd file that another dev had been working on.  I have been working on the file since, normally I will open indesign and the image would be there in recent files and I just open in.  I worked on the file last on11/01. Last night, I wanted to do some work in it, so I opened indesign and was surprised that it wasn't there.  I checked file > recently opened, when I try to open it from here, it says "either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another program".

I have no idea where the file is located, I have been opening it using the recent shortcuts for weeks.  Can any advice on how I can recover this file?  I have the pdf that I created on 11/01, is it possible to fine the indd location from the pdf?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea where the file is located

If you know the file name, you can find it by typing its name in the find field of the Finder (Mac) or file explorer (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking, if the file is locked, it would give this error.  What file type are locked files?? idlk??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but if you don't know where it is, there's very little beyond searching for it by name that anyone here is going to be able to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the name and I see a few versions of the file but none of them are the one I worked on the 11th.  It has to be somewhere because I saved it for weeks.  Are the only 2 locations my computer and creative cloud?  Can it open directly from google workspace drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the file on the cloud Drive ( Herr Google), make it offline available. Marbella that This command you will find in the context Menu with Right mouse Click. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK so I went to creative cloud desktop, on the top right, I clicked on the cloud and paused file syncing.  Then I opened indesign and tried opening the file from file > recent files and it still has the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines