• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm simply unable to link two text boxes

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm recreating a layout, and matching the original typography, so I carefully drew five boxes with the text tool over the layout. I pasted text from MS Word into the first one, and formatted it, then tried ten times to link the two boxes -- by, you know, selecting the item tool, clicking on the little red box in the first text box, then clicking on the second. Every time the program creates a new text box, a giant one, that includes the additional text. The new box is upside down for the layout, but right-reading in the document. (It's an LP, and the layout in question is the inside gatefold.) Could it be that InDesign can't link two boxes because the second one's "upside down"? That'd be lame. 

I could, I know, format the pasted text box to match the layout then repeat that three more times, but dammit, I shouldn't have to. 

This is ID CC2015; my client is a global company and must standardize so is slow to upgrade. 

Please advise. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check, if the text frame or its layer is locked?
Has the frame an object in it, like a graphic, table or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, Willi, thank you for replying. Rereading my post, my frustration was evident and if I overstepped the bounds of propriety language-wise, I apologize. 

Maybe all the program needed was a good night's sleep. I booted my Mac, loaded the fonts and launched the program. This morning, linking the text boxes worked like it should. 

I cannot imagine what's different this morning, except, before linking the boxes I turned off the view of the layer underneath -- truly, that's all. 

This has happened before; linking text boxes has been as difficult and frustrating a few times previously as it was yesterday afternoon. I'd love to know what's going on, but have few clues, at this writing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines