• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ID link alt text not transferring to PDFs

Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past few weeks, in all interactive PDFs I've exported from InDesign 2021, the link alt text I have set in ID is being stripped in the export process and not being transferred to the link annotations in the order panel OR the Link - OBJRs in the tags tree. 

This is a massive headache and time suck. 

Has else experienced this? Have you discovered why and have a solution? 

Thanks! (I have cross-posted in the Acrobat forum.)
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Since v 16.2, for hyperlinks, the 'alt text' you enter is exported as a 'Contents item',  you will find that under the Code/k matrix/dictionary/obj dictionary. It is no longer exported as a 'normal' Alt text.

And this is how it should be according to the Matterhorn protocol. In fact, in earlier versions that did export it as 'normal' alt text, this was a bug...!

So behaviour has changed but it is indeed now correct 😉

See screenshot from the release notes below:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Yes, you can still add a Alt text in Acrobat Pro 😉

Your second problem with wrong links on the page, I have no idea... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*link annotations in the contents panel (not order panel)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you indicate the version of your software and operating system?

Can you share the settings you use. 

I take this worked very well until you updated/upgraded InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Mac OS BigSur

InDesign 2021

Acrobat Pro DC

I haven't updated any of the above or changed any settings. My workflow for creating accessibile ID docs and then finishing remediation in Acrobat hasn't changed. I'm totally stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KTdid. You are adding your alt text in the Hyperlink Alt Text box under Accessibility, right? And then how are you exporting the interactive PDF? And do you want that text to show up in the PDF on a mouseover when converted to HTML? Is the link annotations panel in Acrobat? What version are you using? 

JainLemos_0-1625684383657.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain.

Yes, I am adding alt text in the hyperlink alt text box. I create my TOCs with the TOC tool in ID. I export interactive PDFs. Then the alt text does not transfer to my PDFs' link annotations in the contents panel or Link - OBJRs in the tags tree as described above and with all the latest software as specified above.

I've been remediating PDFs for accessibility for a while now and this has just become an issue. So strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since v 16.2, for hyperlinks, the 'alt text' you enter is exported as a 'Contents item',  you will find that under the Code/k matrix/dictionary/obj dictionary. It is no longer exported as a 'normal' Alt text.

And this is how it should be according to the Matterhorn protocol. In fact, in earlier versions that did export it as 'normal' alt text, this was a bug...!

So behaviour has changed but it is indeed now correct 😉

See screenshot from the release notes below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news.

One problem for me:

I'm not able to locate "Code/k matrix/dictionary/obj dictionary". I'm looking under Object Properties > Edit Tag… > (per the attached screenshot). Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks, Frans!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Dutch version, but it should be under 'Code':

(Note: this screenshot is from my lessons on the subject and show an Alt-text as well, this is to show the difference, the Alt should NOT be there!! Only the Contents item!!)

Fix annotations link.png

BUT: a TOC that is generated from an InDesign document that you have set to become hyperlinks, there you can not enter the Alt-text for the Contents item yourself.

For that, and for maybe those links you have without the Content item, you can use the Singe Fix from Acrobat Pro (under Preflight) Create Contents item for Link Annotations. Run that and it will fix those 😉

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-15 om 20.19.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh-ha! The difference in language. Your "code" is our "tag". See my screenshot.

This is still very frustrating as sometimes it's necessary to assign alt text to links that are not discernable. All links should be discernable/meaningful. 

For example, say that in a document that I am remediating, the following link is provided: 

"https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html"

And I want the alt text to be "Adobe Support", what now is the proper way to assign this? Still via the alt text in Acrobat?

And, then what if I can creating a document in InDesign and facing the same scenario but do not have permission to change the text within the document and there are many instances like it throughout the document? There is no easy way to assign the alt text so it can be done once and then exported? I must then do it manually in Acrobat every time?

Thank you so much for your advanced expertise!

Somethin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can still add a Alt text in Acrobat Pro 😉

Your second problem with wrong links on the page, I have no idea... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that for those of us who create documents that are updated yearly and contain lots and lots of links that require alt text, by removing the ability to export ale text from ID to PDF, each year we now have to rewrite all of the link alt text instead of doing it once in ID. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for your knowledge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A different, but link related issue that is also just become an issue is this:

I have a 33-page doc that I created in ID. It has many links to URLs and email addresses throughout. I originally made this document last year and when it was exported to PDF, all links were properly associated with the Link - OBJRs within the link tag associated with the link text. 

I made edits to the document recently and now when I export to PDF, link text and link destinations are matches accurately, however, the Link - OBJRs are connected to links elsewhere in the document. 

For example, I have a page of contacts with many email addresses. They all open to the email window ready to be sent to the proper email address, but if look at the Link - OBJRs they are associated with other links on the page or other pages altogether. 

Any insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines