I am having a problem producing any epub from the book export menu on ID 17.0.1 (windows 10 x64, 64Gb memory, I9). I have tried both epub 3.0 and epub 2.0.1. According to windows task manager, ID becomes "not responding" at the first file in the book (there are 34 files in the book) and sits there for at least two hours with no change - at which point I ended the task. According to task manager, ID at this point consumes ~9% of CPU time (but shows no memory, online, or disk activity associated with the task). The computer is not even thrashing. Suggestions?
I produced a print book for a client (574pp, heavily indexed, many MANY cross-references, almost 1000 endnotes). The client wants a Kindle version. Simple: ID > epub > Kindle previewer > KPF & upload. This implies exporting a modified book (leaving off the index at least). I created a modified book file for this purpose containing 34 files. These files still include their Xrefs and index markers, although the index is not generated for or included in the epub book. Numbering and Xrefs are updated before export.
I've tested the files of the book individually, and each seems to be able to export an epub from the file menu (with additional problems, see below). I've created an ID book file with a single chapter file in it (slowly increasing the number of files in the book) and the book file can produce an epub (although it throws errors because the text anchor targets for the Xrefs are not all present when all files are not in the book). Since this process was successful at 12 files, I tried to produce the book with all 34 files... and got non-responsive at the first file (not, as I would have expected, at some later file).
Kindle create software assumes Word output <sigh>. The Kindle previewer wants epub as its input. I think it will accept HTML, but ID will not produce an entire book in HTML -- only from individual files. While I could stitch HTML together in Dreamweaver, the cross-references created in the HTML would all have to be re-set-up manually, an impossible task. I could combine all the ID files into one massive file, I suppose... There are other, odd, work-arounds such as trying to import the ID book into Word... but I digress. What I really want to do is dump an epub from my ID book.
So, is this an epub export bug in 17.0.1? Am I doing something wrong?
Other problems encountered along the way:
I noticed that while all the numbered endnotes are correctly placed at the end of each chapter, some chapters show the endnote citation number in the text and some chapters do not -- only showing the commas between multiple endnote numbers in the text, but not the numbers themselves. Following other threads in the forum, a user with endnote/footnote problems said that changing the styles so that they no longer were made to conform to the grid did the trick for him. Not so for me. I have yet to diagnose this.
Some chapters import graphics, some do not. I have not diagnosed this.
Thanks as always for the attention and consideration of the community.
Import and export
You may have to adapt the print version to make it simpler for a Reflowable ePub. Ensure all text has Paragraph (and Character) Styles, that all images are anchored and no Master/Parent pages are used. FlightDesck is an excellent ePub checker: https://ebookflightdeck.com