Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML FILE NOT SAVED CHANGES

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have been working on a IDML file today which i saved as InDesign, updated and then saved back as an IDML again. The other person who also needs to work on it isnt able to use InDesign so i have to save back to IDML.

Anyway, they made a whole load of changes and PDFd the document which showed these changes. However once they saved and closed, when i then opened the IDML file none of the changes my colleague made was there. Only the changes i had made previously showed.

This happened to another document this week doing the same process as above. It hasnt happened before so im not sure whats going on. Is there an easy solution to rectify this? Otherwise only one of us is able to work on the file which isnt ideal as we have a deadline.

Appreciate any advice.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your colleague opened and changed the file, it would have saved as an InDesign file in their ID version, not IDML, unless they intentionally exported IDML from their saved InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thank you for your response.

My colleague isnt able to open the InDesign file which is why i save it as an IDML. 

She then works on it and saves it as IDML again.

Any ideas of why this the updates arent showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is she is working in an older version of InDesign than yours, she could try giving you her .indd file instead. You should be able to open it, and this would reduce the number of times the file has to be converted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you explain where you save the file? Sometimes with Cloud services (dropbox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, SharePoint...) it takes a while to sync changes.

It is possible that the changes made by colleagues have not updated the file you see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric

Thanks so much for your response.

We save the file to our company server as we all work from home at the moment. I have just opened the file again and its still the same so im not sure its a delay in updating. 

Any other ideas?

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes she is working in an older version of InDesign to me. Her laptop doesnt support the later versions of InDesign for some reason.

So youre saying, if she saves her document as INDD instead of IDML, i should be able to open it and hopefully see the changes shes made?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK great, we will give that a go.

Thanks so much everyone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But be aware that opening an IDML file in an older version causes a loss f ne functionality and can cause a huge change in the layout. It is not a good idea to change versions between coworkers. You should, if technically posssible, install the same version she has additionally to avoid jumping betwenn versions forward and backward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines