• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image credits using InDesign Captions?

Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set up a library item composed of an image box and caption for use with images in a book I am writing. The caption draws information from the Description field of a Photoshop file. I would like to provide image credits in a section at the back of the book rather than include them in the caption. Is it possible to not only have InDesign place the data in the caption but simultaneously (using a script) place data from the Credit field of the Photoshop image in an Image Credit section at the back of the book?

Failing that, is it possible, through a separate operation/script to get InDesign to place the info from the Credit field of the Photoshop file in an Images Credit section of the book?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a unique paragraph style you should be able to do it by create a table of contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Ha!  Looks like exactly the right thing. Thanks.

However, I have a glitch - I created an InDesign layer called Image Credits, went to Caption Setup and selected the field Copyright (where the credit info resides), set Layer to Image Credits (which is turned on) went back and selected Generate Live Caption, and I get <No data from link> in the caption box. I do not understand why Caption setup with Description selected works but Caption Setup with Copyright selected does not link.

I also tried Generate Static Caption - it produced a caption box with no text at all but a horizontal line running the width of the box that is the same color as the box edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is set up incorrectly. I just finished a job where I used the static captions and it was flawless.

I don’t understand where the layer information comes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Layer comes from a Lynda.com video, on creating long documents, that has a section on using the TOC functionality for things other than TOC. I found the video in order to implement your suggestion of using a unique paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Barb is on to something here. Open one of your files in Bridge and check the metadata there. Make sure you're pulling the caption from the correct field. BTW, I'm not sure this will work with live captions since those are more of text variable. You may need to use static captions.

AFAIC, there is no need for a new layer for this but it won't hurt anything either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quiry:

The metadata names in InDesign don't always match up well with the metadata names in Bridge. For example, if you ask InDesign for "Credit"  it pulls the Credit Line metadata.

InDesign:

Screenshot 2018-03-05 20.07.03.png

Bridge:

Screenshot 2018-03-05 20.05.19.png

But if you ask for Author in InDesign, in pulls in the Creator data. It's very confusing. Which field is your photo credit stored in?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I am not using Bridge - I am not familiar with it - but rather from the File Info metadata Copyright field in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see the same metadata in Photoshop (with File > File Info), Lightroom or Bridge. Can you share a screenshot of the metadata through the Photoshop dialog box then? Again, I am trying to ascertain which field you are trying to pull into InDesign.

The layers are not the issue, and Bob's TOC suggestion is perfect, once you get the data into the caption.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. It's early here I see that you said "Copyright field in Photoshop" but there are three. Is it the Copyright Notice?

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-03-06 07.30.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is it. I am using 2015CC.

Michael

InDesign Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 9.50.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, great. Here is the workflow:

In Photoshop, the Copyright Notice field has the data I want InDesign to display:

Screenshot 2018-03-06 09.19.06.png

Back in InDesign, I placed the same image shown above, and defined two layers, Layer 1 (blue) and Layer 2 (red). I am calling in Copyright, specifying the Caption style and targeting Layer 2 (red).

Screenshot 2018-03-06 07.40.39.png

Generating the live caption calls in the Copyright Notice and puts it on Layer 2.

Screenshot 2018-03-06 07.40.55.png

And I tested the TOC—it happily collects the Live captions when I specify the Caption style (which I had never tried before).

Screenshot 2018-03-06 07.41.24.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I generally avoid live captions because they don't wrap and the text frame has to remain in contact with the graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, but had no idea if they would work in the TOC or not.

~b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was out for a bit - I am not sure why the data link works now, tho I noticed that the image was on my Text Layer rather than Image Layer and corrected that (as per image below, the Image Layer is set to red, Text to blue and Copyright to pink). I am now going to see if I can modify the paragraph style that I am using for the copyright info to include the figure number.

Then I will drag all three together into the Library for reuse - using another one for the left-hand page.

However, HOORAY!, it is now working, tho still have to set up the TOC and run that. Thank you so much!!

Station 01Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 2.03.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a related aside, the image I sent above has a diagonal in the station platform edge just in front of the town worthies. The image below, taken five years later, during early summer, shows the scene looking north from the platform rather looking south as per the previous. The figure dressed in black in the background sitting on the diagonal is Mark Twain, with his wife standing beside him on his right. The woman in the foreground is a Clemens family friend who was travelling with them and the woman to her right, bending over two four-footed locals who knew a good pat when they saw one is the Clemen's daughter Clara. Twain was heading West across the US on his 1895 world tour and diverted up to Winnipeg, Manitoba. The train crossed the international border 70 miles south of Winnipeg at Gretna. While everyone presumably got off to stretch their legs, Clemens had serious issues with varicose veins which may explain why he is sitting. I spent my childhood in Gretna during the 1950s and the station and the platform, complete with diagonal, were still there. I found the image by googling the Gretna station - who'd-a-thunk!

Clemens Group.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines