• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image size issue on a epub flutter reader app

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I designed a reflowable epub through InDesign. There is a green martini glass on the left of the text which turns out fine when I export the file and open it on kindle. However the epub is to be put up on an app developed using Flutter, when I do so the glass goes out of propotion.

Attaching images 

What could be the problem.

P.s someone designed a dummy epub and no such problem appeared with that file even after uploading it on the app. I am attaching my epub as 'amna' and the one that works fine as 'working' can someone help me find the problemIMG_F3D8A81362A8-1.jpegScreenshot 2022-11-24 at 11.06.04 PM.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPUB is 100% dependent on the (app) reader. And there are hardly any two readers that handle EPUB rendering the same way, and to the same degree.

Since there is no enforcing body for the EPUB standard, not even an ad-hoc public one, there is nothing preventing each implementation of a reader from being as rigid or as loose with respect to the standard as the developer chooses. Some developers may laboriously follow every point of the standard, but not keep up with changes. Some developers may follow the standard, but leave "loose edges" that don't properly handle exceptions, rare document elements or certain combinations of features.

But most developers cannot resist the urge to make their reader "better," and modify standardized features or add their own, to the detriment of pretty much all users and docs that don't specifically follow their ideas and ideals.

There is nothing ā€” nothing ā€” an EPUB developer can do about this. (And there should be; we should be able to draw a line in the sand over compliance.)

So the working practice is this: develop so that Thorium Reader (and to a very slightly lesser degree, Calibre ā€” which does not have a rendering fault that plagues Thorium right now but has some other issues) shows your book correctly. And let all other reader/users limp along with their crummy, "improved" or otherwise noncompliant readers. (They'll blame you anyway.)

Or, if you are bound to a particular reader ā€” the usual ones being Kindle and iBooks ā€” then develop so that your book renders perfectly on those, try to keep things so that Thorium still does a good job, and let the chips fall that way. In your case, I'd tweak the EPUB code at the CSS level to make it work perfectly on the reader you're targeting, and then try to work back to compatiblity for more general readers, or even release an alternate version for the more general market if you prefer.

But all of this is exactly like the web/browser situation of maybe ten or so years back, where every browser builder had their own ideas about how to "improve" things, and you either wrote to suite IE or Firefox or Safari, or wrote tons and tons of 'conditional' code to try and make the site come out the same on all three. It was a tiresome task and era.

And EPUB really needs to get past this tiresome, free-for-all, we're-better era. Too bad the official committee is absorbed in little more than the nits and bits of accessibility these days, and not the larger issues.

ā•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ā•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, rants aside, you are probably going to have to assign an object style to that icon and manage its behavior at the CSS level. With luck, you will be able to get the intended behavior on your target reader/platform, AND on a general reader like Thorium.

Kindle Previewer is a good EPUB proof/tester in many ways, but it's quite different in many ways as well and no guarantee that the source EPUB will display that way even on a compliant reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear James, 

I understand your pain! Having to juggle between multiple readers and each showing me a different layout really boils my blood. I did assign it an object style with a generic code but it still doesn't seem to work Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 11.59.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also my epub is working perfectly fine on both calibre and thorium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's a starting point.

First, give the icon a named style so that it's easier to distinguish from the many that ID creates on the fly. It should be applied at a div level, not an img... an img can be encapsulated inside another structure and CSS will thus have little effect on its positioning.

In a supplemental CSS file (if you're not using one ā€” you don't quite say), create a matching definition:

div.Martini-Icon {
float: left;
padding: 0 10px 10px 0;
}

This should make the icon float left, let the following text wrap around it, and apply 10px of spacing to the right and bottom margins. (I think that's what you're trying to achieve... if not, adapt or describe it more fully.) With all suitable CSS commands, keep applying factors to the icon frame until it appears where and how you want it.

A second definition beginning with img. might be useful for controlling the actual icon graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does something like this look okay? 

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 12.57.44 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-11-25 at 12.56.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure. You don't have to repeat anything that's in the default file, although I'd still recommend giving the image a more specific or unique name. (ID can change the generated object names for many reasons.)

I think the following would work more reliably:

div.Martini-Icon {
float: left;
padding: 0 10px 10px 0;
}

div.Martini-Icon img {
(actual image characteristics here)
}

You'll have to tinker (by, say, giving the image a large size or something) to make sure the code is being applied; I'm just winging this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also why do you think the icon in this file appear where it is supposed to, and the same doesn't happen for my file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines