Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images placed in InDesign are pixelated

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Ive just got a new laptop and upgraded version of ID.

When Im bringing in high res photos into indesign they look pixelated even though I have it in high quality display. This is also the case when i export the document as a PDF.

This is also happening when I open up saved documents that ive never had a problem with before.

Please help, ive never had a problem with this before!

Many thanks, 

Bonnie

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Please excuse me for asking the obvious: But with a new laptop and a new version of InDesign, how did you transfer all your working files to the new system? Are the InDesign files and associated graphics all stored locally? Or are they accessed through a network of cloud access? Or some combination of the above?

If they're all accessed locally, have they been stored in the exact same "file structure"/organization as they were in the old system? Have any of them been done with packaged frolders

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

I agree with Randy.

In addition, make sure that in InDesign, View > Display Performance is set for High Quality Display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse me for asking the obvious: But with a new laptop and a new version of InDesign, how did you transfer all your working files to the new system? Are the InDesign files and associated graphics all stored locally? Or are they accessed through a network of cloud access? Or some combination of the above?

If they're all accessed locally, have they been stored in the exact same "file structure"/organization as they were in the old system? Have any of them been done with packaged frolders from the old system, which would contain all the linked files and fonts within a package folder and intrinsically packaged to find everything needed to output the relevant PDF file(s)?

InDesign uses "relative" file referencing — e.g. travel this route from the folder where the InDesign file is stored to make a link reference to linked file(s). If the file system on your new system doesn't match exactly, the relative reference to the linked file is blown and needs to be relinked to establish a new relative reference to the new linked location. Heck, depending on the platform, even if you matched the file organization perfectly, it contains the name of the system in the relative reference and if you didn't rename the new system exactly the same as the old system, the link is still blown.

I'd suggest checking your Links panel and seeing if the links to placed graphics need updating. Re-establishing your links for troubled files will hopefully alleviate all your problems with existing files. And if you still have access to the old system, see if first packaging a given InDesign job with all its associated links and fonts eliminates the issue. I'll bet you a nickel that it helps ... and from there it'll just be lather-rinse-repeat until you get your jobs from the old system saved in a workable file organization.

And I hope this helps you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Randy.

In addition, make sure that in InDesign, View > Display Performance is set for High Quality Display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even withthis option, I have this problem. help me please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this helped thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for reaching out. I am hopeful that the issue is resolved by the steps shared above. If not, please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign
  • Screenshots of the original pictures and after importing them into InDesign
  • How these files are being created originally?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac os monterey 12 21

Photo black and white numerised 3200  ppi

And still pixel even with HQ display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gilleselie, 

I was having the same problem, and found that exporting to a [high quality print] pdf rather than just "export to pdf" fixed the pixilation!

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines