Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imitate multiple text frame

Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need some help there. I have lots and lots of lines which I need to be in a box line structure. Earlier I have done the same thing using multiple text boxes and it worked fine, however, I would like to achieve the same thing using single text frame in one layer, and make a box and lines in another layer. I need to find a feasible way to do it. I have managed to do it but it requries lots of calculations. I get this kind of job very often in different page sizes, different fonts. I have attached a sample which I want. Thanks. 
Note: I have used baseline as Leading in the example. What you see in the example is single paragraph.

I do not want to use multiple text frames or tables.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

I see what you mean. Need to experiment a little further. I'm off to try a combination of  text frames and hard graphics frame with the border...

How about this —

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1653325735879.png

...simply putting the outline and lines on a parent page and letting the text flow in carefully adjusted frames? Probably with a baseline grid?

Paragraph borders might be another solution although that would be back to one-line-per-para.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would Edit > Step and Repeat work for you? You can adjust the amount on a given page.

~Barb

sandr.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb,

I am using step and repeat but lots of adjustment required. If one setting
does not work then again I have to step and repeat with new values. Any
more ideas?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought was to use a custom underline as per @James Gifford—NitroPress's reply, but you said you wanted the lines on different layers.

Those are the only two options I can think of but perhaps there is a scripting solution? That's not my area of expertise.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ass/u/ming that he wants the text accessible without any clutter of attached graphics, which the underline method would do. For search, cut/paste, even e-book export, it would be just text. The extra tabs at the end of concluding lines would be the only 'clutter.'

But he may have specific reasons for the boxes/lines on separate layers.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not completely sure this will work but some quick experimentation showed a good result:

1. Use Text Underline.
  2. Adjust characteristics (line weight and offset) along with spacing to get the boxed effect you're seeking.
  3. Use Justify to get full width underlines on most text lines.
  4. Add a full-margin tab to the last line of each paragraph to force it to continue to the box margin.

ETA: All but some margin and baseline tweaking. Should work unless RTL handles things very differently.

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1653067665713.png

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

also thought like that, but I think we need a small inset left and right of the text.

And I wonder how we could do this when using underlines only.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see what you mean. Need to experiment a little further. I'm off to try a combination of  text frames and hard graphics frame with the border...

How about this —

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1653325735879.png

...simply putting the outline and lines on a parent page and letting the text flow in carefully adjusted frames? Probably with a baseline grid?

Paragraph borders might be another solution although that would be back to one-line-per-para.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines