• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import images failed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Indesign 2020 and I’m trying to import images from my mac, i've tried to drag the image from the desktop, File> Place and Command D, all of these don't work, it said import failed.

so i reinstalled the app from creative cloud, still doesn't work.

i also tried to create a new document or working on previous document, all these don't work either.

it worked well a week ago... 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

What format is the image? Are you sure it is the correct format. People often think changing the extension of a file will convert it to that format. You may be dealing wit h a file with either no extension or the wrong extension. Do you have this problem with all files? All files of a certain format? Or only specific files?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks for replying! I've figured out the problem, it’s because the image format is not compatible with Indesign. i changed the format and it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS?
How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?
What do you mean "don't work" - is there an error message?

Have you tried resetting your InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format is the image? Are you sure it is the correct format. People often think changing the extension of a file will convert it to that format. You may be dealing wit h a file with either no extension or the wrong extension. Do you have this problem with all files? All files of a certain format? Or only specific files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! I've figured out the problem, it’s because the image format is not compatible with Indesign. i changed the format and it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of interest what was the format of the image you couldn't Place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's jpeg. I'm not quite sure what this is, the image just turned HEIC into jpeg when I dragged it to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised that my image was HEIC too and I managed to convert it to jpeg but the import still failed.. what can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you undertake the process of saving the image to JPG in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do u do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with the File menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean... I know that to import an image I have to go to File>open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't... does it only work if I convert it through photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Derek Cross I tried to export as jpg from photoshop, it still can't be imported into indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain exactly the steps you took. What command did you use in Photoshop and what options did you use? What happened when you tried to place the file in InDesign? If there are dialogue boxes showing the options you used or the errors you saw include them in your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having the same problem, 'import failed'. On my macbook pro no problem but on my desktop machine I get the error message. Same document and same photos. The documents and app are closed on the machine I am not using so its not a conflict there. Any suggestions. Oh I have deleted and reloaded indesign.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am on a macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and running Indesign 17.2.1. It seems like ever since I upgraded to Monterey I am having the issue. I am opening the same Indesign files I have used multiple times and the images are all in the same folders and the formats are compatable, but now it says I need to relink them, but when I try to do that it says import failed. I can place them again and it seems to work, but it is very frustrating and time consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having the same issue. Once I updated to Monterey I can not update/relink images without receiving the cryptic "import failed" message. This has to be solved immediately. Many of us have way too many doucments with many images so time-consuming work-arounds are not the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree! I figured out if I delete the image from the document and place it again fresh it will work, but that is so time-consuming when working with a long document and multiple times a day. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured out my issue. I recently rebuilt my iMac from scratch and set up dropbox to be online only, meaning it's not mirrored on my desktop. Therefore the images that were placed from dropbox are now flagged as missing and when I try to update, the import fails because the file is seen to have no content, ie size of zero k. I have to allow the file to be used "offline"

Maybe this is the same issue you are having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That could be it. I do use Dropbox and I have it set up to sync but you’re right it could possibly be that I haven’t used that file in a while, and it’s not synced anymore. I will check. I’ve never had that problem though and I’ve been working like this for years. Thank you for the reply.

Lisa Paully

Lisa Paully Design + Photography
lisapaully.com | 954.947.1188

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox appears to be aware of this issue and is working on a fix: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-12-monterey-support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making Dropbox available offline solved my link error issue. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this! I was having the same issue and you solved it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So glad it's working for you now. So frustrating when you can't figure it out. And wastes so much energy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and had a different solution for it. I have an M1 MBP and running Monterey 12.3 

For me, I guess to save space, not all my files are ON my drive. I am using DropBox and while I see the file and filename, it's actually showing 0 bites. I have to OPEN the file and it then DOWNLOADS the images to my computer, I see a green checkmark beside it. I then reopen InDesign and it finds those images that did not "appear" to be linked. Even when I tried to import the images, I got the dreaded "failed to import" prompt. So check to make sure your images are actually downloaded to your computer and not just a alias or placeholder first.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines