Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import shape then import photo to that shape

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a specific shape (sort of like a tear-drop) as part of a document. I import that document ("import file") and place it where I want it, so far so good.

What I want to do now is have InDesign recognise the actual tear-drop shape from the document (not the full document itself) and then I want to import a photograph just into the tear-drop shape.

Can I do this? (I think I need to change the shape of the frame, but other than rectangle / elipse I can't see how to do this)

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing would be to draw that shape in InDesign. If it's already in Illustrator, you could copy/paste it into InDesign but placing it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob,

I've tried drawing it, but my free hand versions are not very good! (And it has to be exact, unfortunately)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, how was this shape created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob has the answer: Indeed, if the shape is more complictaed than you can draw in InDesign, definitely create it in lllustrator and then Copy and Paste (NOT Place) that path into ID. For example, if you wanted to use a complex logo shape for a graphic frame, you can totally do that.

In my example I pasted a logo's path (outlines show at top), then I placed an image into it (bottom).

If you have more than one shape in your graphic (as I have), make them a compound path in Illustrator so they are treated as "one" frame.

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 10.57.32 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention that the teardrop is part of another document. Depending on how the other document was created, and how it is saved, you may be able to place your photo behind the other placed document and have it show through the teardrop. This would require that the fill of the teardrop shape was completely knocked out in the other document. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 1.59.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 2.02.52 PM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a specific shape (sort of like a tear-drop) as part of a document."

Hi Tony,

if that document happens to be a pixel image you could use Adobe Illustrator's Trace feature to create a vector path from the shape and then copy/paste the vector shape to InDesign.

More details on Image Trace at the Illustrator help pages:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone - I don't know how the original design was created but from your suggestions I'll try it in Illustrator and see if I can get that to work.

Many thanks, again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines