• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Table of Contents

Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing (placing) TOC from a Word doc, the line breaks are always Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.04.46 PM.pngoff.... more specifically, the width is the problem, so that page numbers fall onto the next line. How to adjust so dots between title and page are aligned to the width of my InDesign text box? (If it needs to be adjusted in Word, I can probably have that done by the author...) 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

You can set a right-align tab stop at the right margin to fix this, but you don't want to.

The TOC coming in from Word is showing the Word page numbers. The numbers are going to be different in InDesign.

Delete the Word TOC and let InDesign generate the table of contents from the chapter title style for you (Layout > Table of Contents) and then set the right-align tab stop at the right margin. Once set up, if you need to edit the document and change the page account you can just update the t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set a right-align tab stop at the right margin to fix this, but you don't want to.

The TOC coming in from Word is showing the Word page numbers. The numbers are going to be different in InDesign.

Delete the Word TOC and let InDesign generate the table of contents from the chapter title style for you (Layout > Table of Contents) and then set the right-align tab stop at the right margin. Once set up, if you need to edit the document and change the page account you can just update the table of contents and the content and page numbers will update automatically.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-table-contents.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eek. I'll try. For some reason creating the TOC in InDesign has always felt daunting. Guess I should buck up. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not hard. And once set up it's so much easier to manage. Work through the link I provided. If you get stuck, just let us know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines