• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word formatting that is not properly styled

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large google docs document that I downloaded as .docx to import to Indesign. 

This document does not have paragraph styles, rather, the style/hierarchy has been marked by using colors, underlines, italics and bold text. All of this is read by Word as the "Normal" style throughout the document.

Here's an example of how it's formatted:

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-29 a las 10.10.28.png

Is there any way that Indesign can interpret, for example, all text that is underlined and green as one style so that I can adapt it to my paragraph styles on Indesign?

Since there are no proper Word styles on my doc and everything is the "Normal" style, Style Mapping when placing on Indesign doesn't work. 

I don't want to have to style the whole Word document with paragraph styles because it's really long. Is there anything I can do to salvage this?

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Is there any way that Indesign can interpret, for example, all text that is underlined and green as one style so that I can adapt it to my paragraph styles on Indesign?

You could run a find-change

Capture d’écran 2022-11-29 à 10.23.40.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could run a find-change

Capture d’écran 2022-11-29 à 10.23.40.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I have been able to use this for when the format is bold, but for some reason when searching colour + underline Indesign doesn't find anything. Do you have any idea why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that you are running the find change for the whole document, or the story and not for the selection only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running it for the whole document. For some reason, searching in the Text tab didn't work, but I switched to GREP and it found the match perfectly. 

Thank you for your help, it's all good now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is almost certainly easier to reformat in Docs than to try and clean it all up in ID. (Years of experience talkin', here.)

Can you import to Word and thus make use of a better Find/Replace, macros, etc.?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines