Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to import Excel sheet

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have many excel documents to import in Indesign. Most of them have been imported without any trouble, but some can't be imported. I receive this message (translated from french) : "Impossible to convert this document. An undetermined error occured during conversion."

I did not create the excel docs, but they seem to be all similar (same presentation, very simple..), all created and saved in excel... I tried to rename the problematic ones, to import them in another indesign document...

What's wrong ?

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Have you tried to resave one of the problematic .xlsx files as old school .xls?  This saves it as a non-XML-based file which sometimes clears "issues".

That being said, I had no issues importing formatted tables from either one of your supplied files: no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to tell unless we can see them. Also, are they XLSX or XLS? What version of InDesign and what are your import options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the last version (pro license). Every file is xslx. The options are basics : Sheet1, cells of the table, "organised" table, activ calcul sheet... (see joined image). I use the same options for every table.

I joined 2 tables, 1 working and 1 not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea ? I tried to copy and paste the table in another excel sheet, still doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and noticed a very large range in that named sheet. I changed it to A1:L3 and it imported fine. I think there might be a bug at play here with all of those empty cells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for your help. The only solution I found today is to import the first line of the table and then copy/paste the table from excel to indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to resave one of the problematic .xlsx files as old school .xls?  This saves it as a non-XML-based file which sometimes clears "issues".

That being said, I had no issues importing formatted tables from either one of your supplied files: no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to save it as an .xls and it worked ! Doing that, I also resaved the original one, which was in "protected mode", and now I can import this "resaved" original one. It doesn't make sense because they are all saved in that mode...

Thank you !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines