• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Design file won't open after running ID app update

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running the app update last night I haven't been able to open my file, I've tried several trouble shooting suggestions. I can open other ID files fine, so I don't think it's the programme. It's several weeks worth of work I've lost (I know I should have made a back up) and my deadline is next week. I've tried saving a copy, uninstalling the app to an older version etc. Please help 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of InDesign and OS?

This is common when users don't show file extensions and try to double click a file in Finder or File Explorer that has the wrong icon associated. How are you trying to open the file? File > Open...? File > Open Recent > ? Something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried opening in all these options, all result in the file crashing within 10 seconds 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 In Design version 19.2 updating to 19.3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, what are your versions or InDesign and operating system?

You mentioned that you "haven't been able to open my file". Please elaboarte what exactly happens (any errors, crashes etc.)

And what update did you run? I assume it was InDesign - what version did you update from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating from version 19.2 to 19.3 In Design 

I try to open the file via both ID and explorer and file closes itself/crashes within 10 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If InDesign crashes while opening a file, please try Peter's suggestion. If InDesign crashes right after launch, please try the suggestion shared in this article. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it is crashing, not failing to open....

I suspect it may have gotten corrupted in some way (probably not related to the update). There are two tools which might help you: http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/blind_open_and_idml-export.html and http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/indd_recovery.html

Make a backup copy of the file before you attempt a repair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines