Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

In Design files missing

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been creating a magazine for a local community group for 3 years.

Today when I went to open the Christmas newsletter from last year to adapt for this year, it was missing.

I then checked all the other folders (one for each issue). Everything is there EXCEPT THE IN DESIGN FILE!!

Where could they be. I have NO newsletters at all.

PROFANITY removed... Moderator

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trouble shooting steps I'd take:

Do you know the name (or partial name) of the file? Have you searched hard drive(s) for that? 

Are you on Mac or PC? If on Mac, could the file been accidentaly named with a period at the start? That'd make it invisible, so try viewing invisible files (google how to turn on & off - very easy)

Do you have backups of the hard drive where the files were stored? Are the files there?

Asking a user forum "where can my files be" is kinda like asking your neighbor where your car keys are. We can try & help, but ultimately, you'd know best where your files are.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing is sure: this has nothing to do with InDesign…

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jmlevy. Elimination was the answer I needed to work it out. Was hoping it wasn't Adobe and the replies i've received prove that it wasn't. Have managed to retrieve a couple of files but my Christmas 2019 has completely disappeared. Cést la vie.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. The reason I asked the question was because I wanted
to eliminate an Adobe glitch, which seemed to be the only explanation when
everything except the Adobe files were still in the folders.

I am on Windows 10 and on a PC not a Mac. Am rechecking the hard drive
backups and advanced searching hidden files in case they've archived
themselves for some reason.

Cheers

Chris 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had another user recently whose .indd files were reassociated with Acrobat by Windows 10 and assigned PDF icons. The files were still there, just disguised.

Showing file extensions for known file types will allow you to see if this is your problem as well.

In File Explorer, go to the View Tab, Click Options on the far right end of the menu, then Change folder and search options... In the dialog that opens go to the View tab and UNCHECK Hide extensions for known file types.

If this is your problem, right click on a mis-associated file, choose Open with... then Choose another app. Click the check box to Always uses this app to open .indd and then click the link for more apps. Navigate to your InDesign program folder and select InDesign.exe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines