Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Including the phone icon when importing XML into InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello *,

in an XML import in InDesign, I want to put the phone symbol in front of the phone number. I used as character in the XML ✆ (also ✆ did not work). After the import it looks like this (Appendix).
How can I properly include the phone icon in the XML import? I say thank you already...

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

An easy way to accomplish this might be to set up the phone number lines as a bullet paragraph, and let the Paragraph Style place the phone icon as the bullet, and use a Character Style to select the right font, size and positioning of the bullet (with baseline shift, if necessary — sometimes needed if the bullet is a different font size).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual glyph has to exist in the font you are using. That placeholder appears when a glyph is specified but does not exist in the current font.

You will have to use a Character Style to map that character to a font that contains the actual glyph — probably one of the symbol or dingbat/webding fonts.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, James.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy way to accomplish this might be to set up the phone number lines as a bullet paragraph, and let the Paragraph Style place the phone icon as the bullet, and use a Character Style to select the right font, size and positioning of the bullet (with baseline shift, if necessary — sometimes needed if the bullet is a different font size).

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...I will try that...thank you James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines