Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incomplete epub export: documents skipped due to errors

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to export an epub file, I get this message: 

Documents : 37 skipped. (Documents not found or received error during export.)

I have a number of documents added to a  new "book." When exporting the ebook, it only exports select documents, not all the documents I added. I formatted these documents using Indesign 2020. However, I just upgraded and am trying to export them with Indesign 2021. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.  

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and it's driving me crazy. It doesn't always stop on the same chapter. Sometimes 10 are skipped, sometimes 13. I thought maybe it was memory issues, but I'm fine. Any other insights here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Reflowable ePub or a FXL ePub?

Did you use the InDesign Book feature to create the document Tetra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was an existing print book. Yes, used InDesign Book to create. and it is a FXL ePub doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many pages and did you modify the print version for use for the ePub version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

362 pages. I modified it somewhat. I actually got it to export once. And then client came back with one more revision and now I can't get it to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a long document – is it text heavy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a mix. Mostly text with some photos interspersed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth buying a month's worth of the epub validator Flightdeck – it's an invaluable resource: https://ebookflightdeck.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure a validator is of any use until an EPUB is generated. 🙂

I would try exporting small groups of chapter documents to see if it's the scale of the export, or individually faulty component docs.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what does one do if the document is too long? I didn't know there was a limit. I'm having the same issue. My document is over 750 pages but it's only 4.3 MB. I've created documents much larger than that with no problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same questions: what version of InDesign are you using, and on what platform and OS? (For all the similarities, there are differences in the details).

And are you exporting to FXL or reflowable?

And exactly what error/s are you seeing, either in reported ones or failed outcomes?

There aren't any hard limits I know of (size, pages, elements, etc.) but things like internal indexes and build tables can get exceeded with no good indicator of what's wrong.

Some things to try are to only process half the book at a time. Working from a copy, delete about a third of it and try again. If that works, delete the first third or so and try. See if you can narrow it down to a particular size or particular part of the book that's actually causing the problem. It is often a faulty component (bad image file, corrupted table, etc.) that causes these kinds of problems, rather than any one fixed/known fault of the format or export itself.

Another possibility is that you have too large a document to be squeezed into one content file within the EPUB. (The way to check this would be to look into the EPUB and see how many and what size XHTML content files are being generated, but if you aren't getting that far, it will have to be more indirect.) Try this: in the export dialog, General pane, select Split Document and check the Single Paragraph Style box, then set the style to something like your chapter heading, so that the export will create that many subcomponent files instead of one.

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1683675288215.png

For the most part, this is invisible to the end result (although there are reasons both to use and not use multiple content files). It may get around whatever size blockage you're encountering.

If you have a lot of images, try setting the export to JPEG and 150 ppi, to reduce the number of file types and their size.

And... report back!

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines