• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistency with dropping images into frames

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been getting some super annoying behavior when trying to drop images into frames. 

Let me briefly explain my workflow.

- im making clothing catalogs so there are several identical images and frames that represent differnet colors of the same product.

- The images are batch processed together so i can be confident that file format, aspect ratio, dpi, file size, etc are consisent... the only thing changing is the color of the piece of clothing in each image.

- i will drop a frame into place, drop my first image in to that frame, and then copy that image and frame for as many different colorways i will have. so, for example, ill have 5 black hats at this point, and changing them to the correct color is just dragging and clicking over the correct frame and it automatically fits the same way as the first colorway. no adjustment/resizing needed. 

- but about 1/4 of the time, the image will populate the frame but shift itself so its hidden behind the extents of the frame move itself outside the frame. so i just see white and i have to manually move the image a very large distance to recenter, or try to mess with the proptional fitting functions to try to get it to align correclty.

Its incredibly annoying. I will often just delete the problem frame/image and try the same exact workflow again and it will work perfectly fine. This costs me so much time, and then makes me frustereated further reduces productivity. Any help figuring this out would be amazing.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a bug in the file - not to worry

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

----

If it's happening in more than one file

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

If the problem persists

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---------

---------

------

It could also be related to the GPU performance in the InDeisgn Preference

Try turning off the GPU Performance in the InDesign settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be significantly slower (especially 'net') to right click on the secondary frames and use Place? The file list should open right wherever the first image is stored, which is where I presume the others are stored.

Drag and drop is... convenient but not always the best way to build things.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good points. I’ll experiment with this. Like I’ve said in other replies, it could be something I just have to live with or work around.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an explanation or suggestion, I can say I have experienced the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines