Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InCopy: Unable to lock following Files

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I'm a Designer in a company and I'm trying to set up a InDesign/InCopy-Workflow with one of our editors. My version is German, so I hope my translations are kind of correct.

I designed a layout in InDesign and exported it for InCopy via "Edit -> InCopy -> All Texts". All files are saved in a folder in the Creative Cloud and I shared this folder with my colleague. So, unfortunatley when she is opening the file in InCopy on her Mac, there is an error message saying "Unable to lock following files ... " an then one of .icml-Files is named. So she is not able to check in or out and can't edit the text. You can see parts of the screenshot below. When I'm opening it on my system, everthing works fine. 

Anyone had this message before or got the solution for this?

Thank you very much,

Konstantin

TOPICS
Bug , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never tried it on Creative Cloud servers, but I have successfully used it on DropBox, Box, and OneDrive, altho they are a bit slow to respond.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this came up for me, it turned out I did not give Editing acces (only View access).

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I also had the "Unable to lock following files ... " message showed up for one of the proofers and it turned out that I had only given them view access. Problem solved! Most editors/proofers are on PCs and this set up works great. As soon as they download InCopy, they get Creative cloud. Helping them find CC in their files is a lesson in patience! HA! But once they open the file, it easy! 

Unable to lock following files fix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find this Invite to -box anywhere, so I can't choose can edit. Where can I find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I hope you found it but just in case you haven't, go to your CC sync files on a browser (assets.adobe.com) so you can share your folder by inviting people using their email. (I just got an email that sync file sharing will be discontinued in October 2024 so I don't know how I'm going to restructure this workflow. Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Once you identify the folder you want to share, hover your cursor over the folder, and click on the three dots that appear lower right side of the folder. Click the dots and select Share followed by Invite. Type an email address and make sure that before you hit the invite button, use the dropdown to select the restriction for that email (Can View or Can Edit).  

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 11.28.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines