• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect page number formatting in CS5 InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have separate files for each book chapter, so page number formatting should not change within a file. Using facing pages, I format (in Master Pages) the page numbers of the front matter files as lower-case roman numerals. My verso (left-side) pages display in lower case (correctly) but my recto (right-side) pages display in uppercase (incorrectly!) roman numerals.
Additional information: I define the verso page numbers in an 'A' Master spread and then format the recto page numbering in a 'B' Master spread, which inherits the 'A' Master spread verso number formatting. In my Paragrapgh Style Options -> Basic Character Formats, Case: is set to 'Normal'.  What am I missing / doing wrong?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

I'd suspect you've somehow formatted your right-side folio.

Don't panic. Try this:

1. Get your Arrow/Selection tool. Select the correct characters for the page number on the left-side folio.
  2. Copy it, and paste a copy in the center of your right-side master page.
  3. Go to page 1 and you should now see two page numbers in roman type. Are both of them upper-case roman, or is one upper-case and the one in the center lower-case roman numerals?

If one is lower-case roman, make it easy on yourself an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suspect you've somehow formatted your right-side folio.

Don't panic. Try this:

1. Get your Arrow/Selection tool. Select the correct characters for the page number on the left-side folio.
  2. Copy it, and paste a copy in the center of your right-side master page.
  3. Go to page 1 and you should now see two page numbers in roman type. Are both of them upper-case roman, or is one upper-case and the one in the center lower-case roman numerals?

If one is lower-case roman, make it easy on yourself and go back to the master page, delete the upper-case set and format the lower-case version to match your layout. If they both show up upper-case on page 1, now it's time to panic!

Well, not really. Let us know and we'll try to come up with a better solution for you.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy, I tried your test, and it worked! So of course I deleted my page formatting and kept the pasted version from the verso folio. I still do not know what was wrong or why mine did not work, but I'm happy because my problem is solved. Thank you so much!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My response below went to the wrong spot. Glad it worked out well for you.

I used to race stock cars. It stands me well for doing computer graphics work. I got two big lessons from the first which have served me well in my career with the second:

1. Stuff breaks all the time.
  2. The priority is to fix what's broken and move on, and not waste time figuring out the cause on the spot. There's always time to figure out what caused the problem after the race is run.

Glad all is good for you now,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check to see if a Character style or manual format for All Caps was applied to the recto page numbers/

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did check these, and I deleted the page number definition, to no avail. I also changed the formatting on an individual page (not the Master) to "a, b, c, ..." and it displayed as "A, B, C, ..." that is, the same 'mistake.' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying over the left page number to the right and seeing if it works?

Sometimes the best way to fix a problematic element is to delete it and replace it with one you know works the way you want it.

Jus' sayin' ...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines