• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incredibly slow when moving from page to page or using hand tool

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this in any file that has images placed in it. This has been happening with the last 2 updates of InDesign. I'm using the latest version now (Mac system specs in screenshot). Just simply holding the space bar to get the hand tool and move around just freezes and does nothing for what feels like an eternity. Then nothing works for a few seconds - no tool, no type, no nothing. Same thing when I try to move up and down in the pages panel holding shift and hitting page up or page down. Nothing...it just sits there. I've got GPU turned off, typical display performance is checked. I've even tried checking fast display peformance and the same deal. Going out of my mind trying to edit a simple sell sheet of 2 pages!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Here is a checklist of troubleshooting

Also, here is an article of a list of things to try to turn off to see if maybe one of them is causing the slowdown:

How to Speed Up InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a checklist of troubleshooting

Also, here is an article of a list of things to try to turn off to see if maybe one of them is causing the slowdown:

How to Speed Up InDesign

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @lauragalora99,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Mike helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try running InDesign under a different admin user account on your computer and share your observations.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys! @Mike Witherell, it seems like turning off thumbnail preview in the pages panel has done the trick! I've just been blasting around the pages with keyboard commands galore and it's working perfectly now. Bit of a bummer having no thumbnail but I'll live without it until a fix appears. I'll be back if it starts happening again and I've tried all the suggestions in that article. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it's happening again. On the same file I had said was working perfectly above! I went through all the settings in the article posted by @Mike Witherell and everything was already set to those specs. I was simply inside a text box, made a type change, double clicked a thumbnail in the pages pallet to go up a couple pages, and it wouldn't move for at least 5 seconds or so. Nothing else would happen either - I hit command, option i to turn off invisibles, typed v get the selection tool - nothing but crickets. This file is a simple business card file with an .ai logo and a small tif on each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a checklist of troubleshooting

Did you try the export to idml method to clean the document?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It happens in all InDesign files, whether I've just created it from scratch or I'm working on something a client has supplied, so I doubt cleaning the doc is going to help. That is one long list of troubleshooting ideas! I'll give it a go and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines