Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDD file does not open

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open the file, it displays the following message:

Cannot opne the file indd adobe indesign may not support the format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application

I've tried almost everything that was explained in the forum and I can't. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I use it on Microsoft Windows, the latest version of Indesign, I don't have any plugin installed in Indesign

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do verify that the file indeed exists at the location and is a valid InDesign document. You can check the path where it is trying to locate that file by howering on the file preview that you have highlighted in the screenshot

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I already checked... it's there! It seems to me that the file has been corrupted. It was based on another indd file (the first one on the list)

ViniciusWeb_0-1673957522448.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the idlk file shown in the folder and they try to open the file

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried! Doesn't work... same problem continues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this just happening with one individual InDesign file, or to multiple files?

If it's a single file, it could be corrupted. Do you have a backup of an earlier version of this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Vinicius Web ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If the file is saved on any network or shared drive, could it be possible that it's open somewhere? Have you tried moving the file to a different location and then testing it again?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Vinicius Web ,

lets start at the beginning:

1) what InD version, what OS are you using?

2) Is that folder a shared network drive or a cloud-based folder?

3) The icon is missing. So maybe the file is corrupted. Did you had a crash of InDesign or the OS?

4) You wrote you deleted the IDLK file already. But the IDLK is there again? Is someone else having access to that file?

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) what InD version, what OS are you using?
- 18.1 X64

2) Is that folder a shared network drive or a cloud-based folder?

- A folder based on Google Drive

3) The icon is missing. So maybe the file is corrupted. Did you had a crash of InDesign or the OS?
- I didn't have any flaws! I was working, when I closed it to sleep the other day it didn't open anymore

4) You wrote you deleted the IDLK file already. But the IDLK is there again? Is someone else having access to that file?
- When deleting the file it does not come back! But even deleting it does not open the INDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Vinicius Web ,

Are you logged out of Google Drive?

Can you copy that file to your local drive?

Can you open it after copying?

Btw. using cloud-based folders are often source of trouble.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've observed that, for whatever reason, opening InDesign files stored on Google Drive causes more problems that any of the other cloud services. I'm basing this statement on the number of complaints it has generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines