• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indd > epub all line breaks (carriage returns) removed

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exporting an indd file to a flowable epub, and all of my carriage returns are being removed.

A couple of months ago, the problem started out of the blue - I have exported countless times to epub without this issue - and multiple calls to and hours speaking with Adobe support (who insisted I should just used fixed format instead, which is not an option) did not help. Any thoughts? Thank you!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a sample of your text in InDesign?

• Click an inserton point in the test
  • Show Hidden Characters (Type menu)
  • Show the Character and Paragraph panels (Window menu > Type submenu)

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with carriage return?

1. If yo mean a paragraph with text, it should be in the EPUB, it is done with the return key.
  2. If you mean forced line break? It is done with shift-return. There is an export option to ignore it. And to be honest, in most cases its use is nonsense. There are only a few usefull uses. If that is the case, can you explain why you use it on the first place?
  3. If you mean multiple returns to create a distance between paragraphs? They are ignored in EPUBs anyway as their use is always wrong. If a distance between paragraphs is needed, do it with distence before and after and the distances in span settings, but never mor than 1 return in a raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matthewb35925630 wrote:

I am exporting an indd file to a flowable epub, and all of my carriage returns are being removed.

@Willi Adelberger wrote:

What do you mean with carriage return?

Hi Willi,

A "carriage return" goes back to the days of typewriters, and many still use the term. On a computer it's "Enter" on Windows and "Return" on Macs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiyZSX0OnBM

When Matthew said "all" returns were removed, I took it to mean he now has one very big paragraph. We should find out soon when we get the screen shot, though. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know that, but I do not know what it is meant in the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines